1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it too early to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by allstarlawncare, Jan 2, 2012.

1. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

Usually people talk about going out to do their route around 230 in the morning but this year i added a few too many customers. what is too early to start? I want to make sure i get everyone done at a reasonable time. What time do you think they should all be completed by if they are residentials? last year I was done by 7 with my route and started around 230-3.

They are calling for a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow here in the rochester new york area and this will be my first time of the season doing my whole route I dont want to screw this up

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Start at number 1 and keep plowing till its done snowing. Can't go out at 230 if it don't start till 5

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Depends on when the snow hits. We were out last night, well this morning at 1am. We try to wait on the residential side of things until around 4ish.

4. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

Like Grandview said, you have to start at a time that will allow you to get your route done on time. You may have to go back and hit a few a second time if you have too many, unfortunately, unless you would normally do them twice due to the amount of snow, you probably won't be able to double charge them.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you start @ 2:00AM how much snow will there be on the first place you plow @ 7:00 AM?
    If too much your rt is too big.

6. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

well they are calling for 4-8 overnight so my guess is that we will have atleast 3 inches (which is my trigger) by 2 in the morning. that is just a guess though. I know i need to wait until there is 3 inches to get going but what is too late to finish my route? I hate people calling saying their driveway still isnt done and its only 7 in the morning

7. grandview

Your route is only to big when it starts snowing at the wrong time!

8. grandview

In your area 3 inches won't bother to many people,They want to make sure that they can get out to go to work.

9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i dont let the thought of waking people up factor in my decision when to go out, they want a good night sleep and not be able to get to work or or deal with a little noise so they can get to work on time, however i wont show up at 1am if theres 2 or 3'' on the ground and still snowing.

10. allaspects10

allaspects10 Junior Member

Personally i start out when we hit the 2 inch mark for residentials and limited businesses 1 inch for churches. MY TRIGGER IS 3 INCHES This does not reflect a time stamp in any way shape or form last year i plowed in buffalos north towns and our first storm we hit the 2 inch mark at 530 am so basically i heard from every customer on my list "when hell are you comming"???????????, those instances IMO are few and far in between. Each year if the snowfall amount permits on the 1st run i start out at midnight. I then retract the start time as i get used to the route by 15 mins each time until i feel comfortable. I may have to go over the 1st few a second time but at least i know they were all touched by the 7 am hour. It all depends on your customers too. How many trucks do you run. How much mileage do you cover? is the snow heavy or wet? If your used to your route as is and know how long it takes add the amonut of time to your route by using similar scenarios from other points in your route as a guide I.E. similar drives or lots

11. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

4-8" I'd be going out at close to 8". Here in Me, 8" isn't too bad and most people can get out if it isn't too wet. I would head out @ 6" and call it good. If you were getting 15-18", that is a legit 2 visit storm, so I'd go out again at 6" and hit everyone 2x.

Good luck.

12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Probably the way I'd handle it. Nothing I hate more than plowing a driveway out and then they get another inch or two, it just seems sloppy. So if there's 3" on the ground and still accumulating at 7am, they probably won't be plowed unless they truely need it. I have one lady who needs it done by 5am...no question. She recognizes that this may require additional visits but she doesn't care, just pays it, but I don't always charge her for the clean up visit, she's got medical issues.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Pretty hard to answer that question unless you know how much it's snowing per hour, no?

Depending on how quickly it accumulates, anyone's route could be too big.

14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Sounds too me like you might have a little too much. After you do it for a few years you know how much you can handle snow is always going to come at a different time so you can't just start earlier when you get more work.
    You have to have a certain formula and every area/region/operator will be different(depending upon their accounts and equipment. IE-it will take 6hrs to plow a route at 2" everyone's will be different but you don't want to add to many accounts because they will take longer on the bigger storms and snow will come at bad times. If you add more work you have to add more manpower and equipment.
    You have to think what if it drops 6" of snow real fast between 3am-7am? Buy no means will you be done in time nor will anyone but you want to be done by say 12am rather than 5pm...
    Just my 2 cents.

15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've got 3 large apartment complexes. They don't care when I start.
    The management does not give a F if there is noise. The snow needs to go before traffic
    heads for work. With the size of the properties they realize it may take plowing at all hours
    of the night.

16. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I normally start at 1:45-2:00 am when I know there is enough to plow, and I will finish by about 7:15. Like right now, there is a good 6" with another 5-10" expected... So I know I will be starting the route at 1:45... And my other driver will get a truck and be started by 2:15. As far as starting too early, I can't say what is too early for you. My customers know that the route starts around 2am and I have never had a complaint about the 2 minutes I am there making noise. I also have it written into the contract that if we are there early and there is a heavy snowfall in progress, that there might be more than 3" that has fallen since we were first there and we will do our best to clean it up on our way back through.

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

We start between 1 and 3 in the morning for everything, depending on how much snow there is. Or whenever the snow stops falling.