1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it time for a Vbox spreader yet?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mcfly89, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I've never really paid attention to the total amount of salt I spread in an entire season, I just know I'm usually the only one that still has any late in the year, lol.

I spread 205 40lb bags of rock salt last year thru my faithful little meyer 35000 spreader. it usually costs me an $80 dollar motor every year and a half but gosh that thing has been a good investment.

I like the visibility of not having a vbox in the bed, and i like not having to pay for a bulk salt storage facility...but it sure seems like thats alot of bags of salt.

I recently upgraded to an f350 dually so i have plenty of capacity...but what i REALLY need is a way to haul a trailer AND a spreader. I've got a rhino for sidewalks and cleanup that i take with me sometimes and I work by myself so setting the spreader off and on for every salt job is impossible.

thoughts?

2. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

how many bags a storm are you using?

3. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

it varies, although last year, i went thru an entire pallet in one storm

i only used 13 bags in the whole month of december

I used a pallet in Jan and the rest in february

I billed out enough to pay cash for any new spreader ive priced and the material i used...but the additional pain of corrosion on my loader, a facility to store it, etc has me kinda leary about going bulk.

4. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

Personally. You don't use enough to justify bulk. If u were definatly using a pallet a storm every storm it would be worth it. Just keep your costs down an get a bigger tailgate spreader I have a 1075 snowex swing mount.. and it works great! I can hold 10+ cubic feet of material.

It's just not worth a vee box stuck with the tailgate...

5. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

thanks for the thoughts. i guess i'll hang onto the ol meyer for a few more years.

6. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

that's what I am doing... I have a container in my truck now and I can fit 2 tons of bulk salt in it. and then I just shovel it into the tailgate... I have to salt the lots RIght away when I'm done plowing them so If I were to get a Vee Box Salt would freeze up and become a problem. so until I get another truck or a closer yard.. I will be doing it this way.... and I will be using for 1ton-2 tons a storm. (aka 1pallet and a half)

7. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

No...I'd say anything over 50 bags per storm I'd upgrade to a V

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree, you only spread roughly 4 tons of salt an entire season, we spread that and then some in a night. In my opinion its not worth the aggravation of finding a building, storing it, loading it etc. If hand loading salt hasn't started to bother your back (yet) I would stick with it. We ran about 3/4 of a pallet a night with our old Fisher 1000 and zero issues for a few years, those motors seem indestructible. But if it's capacity your lacking buy a bigger tailgate spreader. But it is awfully nice loading a v box and not having to get out and load stupid bags of salt any more. There are so many benefits on both sides but again, I don't think anything you said warrants a v box.

9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I dont mind the bagged salt other than actually handling the bags on a snowy night, loading the spreader. Im afraid one of these days, im gonna slip off the bed of the truck and be in real bad shape. What Id REALLY like to find is one of those prototype Magnum brand (I think) where you load the bag and all in the spreader and it slits the bag while spreading. Now that just seems like a super idea.

10. Brian Young

That was a Blizzard Buzz Box and I don't think they made them for very long. Bagged is nice to control the amounts used but even with that a few extra bags will add up in a hurry.

11. Brian Young

Here's a few things I did to make handling the bags a bit easier, first I found a pair of these rubberized gloves that had sand coated on them, the other thing was our Fisher 1000 had the lid that flips back towards the truck- well what a pita trying to get a bag over the 4" of lid that stuck up. I just simply reversed the lid so it flipped to the back of the spreader then I could just lay a bag over the opening of the hopper then slice the underneath of the bag in the middle and that seemed to make things so much better.

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Stick with the bumper spreader.

V-boxes are a giant pain in the a$$. If I could only spread a pallet a route, I would have bumper spreaders.

You will be money ahead keeping with bags. I bet we waste over 5 pallets a season in spilled material, material that turns to concrete, and what desolves while sitting in a pile.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you answered your own question.