1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it the clutch?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Smitty58, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

My 2005 F-350 6 spd manual has become almost impossible to shift. It is especially tough to shift into reverse. I had the same problem last yr while plowing ,but the dealer could not find anything wrong with it. It does not grind it just simply will not go into gear. Anyone else have this problem that could help. I don't really want to take it in without some idea what it might be. The truck only has 48,000 miles and I bought it new. What else could it be? How much would a clutch be for this?
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Any noise when your driving it? Could be a synchronizer possibly.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Have you tried double clutching to see if that helps.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i think u should still be able to get it into gear if it were the clutch......u just wouldnt have that gear...but u could sitll engage it...i think
  5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if the clutch was bad this is what u would hear and u would cringe at the money its gonna cost to fix it GRRRRRRRRRR RRRR RRR CLUNK then it would go then ud get the same noise going in opposite directions going the same way u wouldnt have the issue because everything would be spinning the sameway
  6. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

could be a couple of things, also on my 6speed 7.3 i had a bad slave cylinder which when you put your foot on the clutch all the way to the floor it would still leave the clutch disengaged and alow the vehicle to slowly crawl so with that it was also very difficult to get int to gear. best to have someone look at it prior to you guessing.
  7. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

My dad's 550 had this same problem, he could only get it in reverse with the truck shut off. He put a new clutch in and it has been working fine since.
  8. Brandon

Brandon Member

My vote would be the slave cylinder....hopefully it's not inside the bellhousing like the Ranger's are.
  9. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i'd definitely start at the slave cylinder and work from there. make sure you have enough fluid in your master cylinder, if your low you may have to fill it up and bleed it back off.
  10. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Well I guess my first step would be to rule out the transmission or the clutch.. When youre experiencing your problem hold in the clutch like your normally would, shut off the engine and see if the shifting is any easier.. If it is i'd be looking into clutch disengagement issue.. If its still hard as hell to shift even with the engine off i'd be a little more inclined to thinking there is an internal trans problem..