1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JDWalkbehind, Jun 19, 2009.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

ok well i have a 96 f250 with a pretty nice body and a 460 and i was wondering is it possible to convert to diesel. or would it really not be worth the time to convert it.i found a donor truck, a 92 f250 7.3 PS w/150k miles same body. the guy damaged the front end an dosen't have insurance, but says it runs fine and drives fine, but because of bad radiator it wouldn't go far. he wants $800. i haven't seen it yet but if it were to be in good condition as far as motor tranny that kind of stuff. would it be worth doing? How hard would it be? i have no idea. besides motor tranny, fuel tanks and lines, computer system, and basically the whole engine compartment what other things would i need to change? The biggest thing i'd be worried about is the electrical. let me know what you think and if someone has done this before your advice would be great. thanks

2. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

it's possible but you would have to change out the whole wireing harness and engine tranny feul tank etc.

3. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Maybe this is splitting hairs but a `92 is not a powerstroke it is the old non turbo 7.3.Good part is it will be a lot easier to swap no electronics to worry about.

4. miltonplower

from ontario

o ya but weren't some of them power storkes?

5. miltonplower

from ontario

6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

not in 92,i think they start late 94

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Why not rebuild /replace whats damaged on the diesel and have 2 trucks? $800 is a good price, you could part it out and make $$.

8. miltonplower

from ontario

that's a good idea

9. JDWalkbehind

Thanks guys for all the help. Tuna i wasn't sure what years had the PS motor so thanks. And what electronics don't you have to switch for that motor that you would for the PS?

ford fisherman that's what i'm kinda leaning towards because i'd have to get the parts to fix the damage anyway for the swap. I'm going to go look at it soon. Like you said worst thing is i buy it decide i don't need it and get it going maybe and sell it or part it out. I'm pretty sure there's more than 800bucks of parts.

Thanks again. Anyone else have some advice on this?

10. JDWalkbehind

ok so i decided to just leave my truck alone. i'm going to look at the truck today. it is the 7.3 but it's not turbo charged. its reg cab long bed. XLT package the bad news is its 2wd. then i was looking around and found a couple donor 4wd body's so we'll see how it looks today and go from there.

side note is the 7.3 and 6.9 similar, what i'm asking is can i put a 7.3 in a 6.9 body?