1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to lift my 450?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by drivefaster35, Oct 20, 2011.

1. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

I have a 2008 ford f450 that I just bought and I'm putting my 9.5 MVP western on the front end. It is 4x4 with snow plow prep package but for some reason it sits awfully low compared to some other 450's and 550's. I'm guessing its the front coil size and want to do it right didn't know if spacers would work or if I need new coils with the plow on it the mount is only 5.5 inches off the ground and will nail curbs left and right. Any advice?

2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

any pics of the rig? im guessing new coils and or timbrins? other more experienced people will chime in im sure

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

You can buy coil spacers that mount under or on top of the coil spring. That's what i did. I did 2 inch bottom, 1.5 inch top, and 7000lb f550 coil springs. Carries the plow nice now.

4. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

So u did a total of 3.5 inches on the front? I'm guessing this was on a 350? I already have the 7000lbs front springs. Also did you use metal spacers and from where did you buy them. I'm guessing if I do that I would have to put an add a leaf in the rearend which doesn't concern me much. I wouldn't mind having it a bit higher. Looks a lot better that way anyhow.

5. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Complete front set up is this:

Bds 2" front leveling kit (block under spring, caster cams, and bilstein shocks)
    7000lb coil springs
    Precision metal fab 1.5" top coil spacer
    Precision metal fab radius arm drop brackets.
    Icon dual stabilizer set up
    Icon adjustable trac bar.

I think that's it for the front. Rear is stock and it sits level. It's a 2006 f350 fx4.

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

That's interesting. That suspension shouldn't move when you put that plow on there.

7. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I think you mean you put 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear as the truck only has 1" of forward rake

3.5" in the front and your truck wouldnt sit right

8. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Ya thanks for telling me what's in my truck that i installed myself. I have measured. With the springs and bottom spacer, truck sat 1.5" lower in the front. Now it sits level to .25" higher in the front. Extended cab short bed lariat with 35's on stock wheels.

9. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

10. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

not to derail the thread but if your truck sat 1.5" low in the from end and you put 3.5" of lift in the truck would sit 2" higher in the front unless my 2nd grade math is off. what kit did you put in?

11. gtmustang00

from Berlin

It was 1.5 low in the front after the 2" bds leveling kit (which didn't level it) and the 7000lb springs. It started as a bds leveling kit that i added to.

12. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You will have to put air bags in the front coils and run lines out the front bumper to inflate/deflate them.

13. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

That still doesn't lift the front end up other then the slightest bit. When I lift the plow it only drops the front end 1"inch from the suspension sagging.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yep, or just get 7k front springs and will be plenty high, our 07 550 rides pretty smooth with the front 7k springs, id almost say smoother than our f350s do with 6k front springs, weird.

15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Its going to make the front end stiffer so it doesn't drop when you lift the plow.

16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I put the coil rite bags on my F350, and it raises the front an inch easily at 60psi. The 8611lp plow (1100lbs) drops it about 3/4" with the bags, about an inch without the bags, so I gained 1.25" with the plow raised by adding them, and the truck feels much more stable. This is with a V10 gas motor, crew cab, and 6k front coils.

Now if anyone can tell me how to bump the rear of my F550 an inch or two without air bags, I'm all ears! :waving:

17. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Add another spring to the spring pack if you can.