1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is it ok to

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by easthavenplower, Sep 4, 2003.

1. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

is it ok to go after acounts from somebody that you subed work from plowing and they screwed you out of money.if yes i have his lists with names addresses and phone numbers also what would be the best way to appraoch the customers.i heard the person is selling the buisiness.i dont want all of the accounts just some.:confused: :D :D
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Did you sign a non-compete clause in your sub agreement ? If it's not in writing in the sub contract,then the customers are fair game.I wouldn't normally do something like that,but if he screwed you for money,then that's different.I'd say go for it.
  3. easthavenplower

no we only had a verble agreement on how he was going to pay learned my lesson the hard way
  4. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

If you don't mind burning a bridge then go for it. Just take into consideration what other bridges you may be burning that may be connected to this one.:eek:
  5. easthavenplower

i wont be burning any bridges except one but i know the other subs that got beat are gonna try to get some also thanks for the opion
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, who among us thinks it would be ok to go after some of those accounts if you had *not* been screwed by the guy?
  7. easthavenplower

lol i wouldnt i worked for him in the past thought i could trust him guess not but sence he screwed me and 2 of my friends i think im going to hit him where it hurts the most i dont even want the accounts i just want to prove a point and get even
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't have the heart to go after the accounts if they didn't screw me for the money.
  9. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

If they didnt screw me, I wouldnt.
    If they did screw me, I wouldnt.
    In my kneck of the woods, no-compete clauses are generaly 2 years. I'd go after my own accounts for two years and let the guy run himself out of business. If he's not good enough to pay his subs, I'd bet that he doesn't have good business/customer skills. Let the word-of-mouth get him. His contracts will be yours shortly anyway. And go loosen a hydralic line on his truck.
  10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"And go loosen a hydralic line on his truck."

Now that's keeping yourself a professional amongst those who aren't acting professional. ;)

Reminds of the time a contractor was over 90 days late on over $15 Grand they owed me. Some friends & subs of mine seriously offered to use their trucks & equipment to go take the other contractor's pushers & other equipment from the sites they were on. Took a little bit of work to finally convince them that doing so would make us just as unprofessional as the delinquent contractor, but they finally agreed I was right.

I wouldn't go after the accounts in either situation myself. If I knew that the contractor was going out of business as is suggested in this case, I would ask the contractor if it's OK to go after those clients. He or she might say go for it if they don't care & are getting out of it.
  11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

If he screwed you then go for his accounts:D
    remember, "what comes around goes around":D
  12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I just re-read the original post and noticed it said:
    If they screwed you out of cash, and they're getting out, do you suppose they'd feel better about the situation if you asked them for the accounts and made it clear that it would be a way of making things right? Some people will screw you just because that's their way of doing business, and they *like* how it feels. Sometimes you'll get screwed just because they've had bad luck, and they feel really bad about it but aren't able to avoid it. I just wonder if this is a case of the latter and they'd *give* you the accounts as sort of a fair payment of what they owe? It might give you a better shot at landing the accounts too. Just a thought...
  13. easthavenplower

thank you all for the suggestions hes not going to give me any accounts so thats out i have some pondering to do thanks again
  14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well you know what i have to say.any ones you don't want send them over to me. i need $1000 worth.
  15. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I new a guy once that worked for this guys snow plowing business that had his own truck and plow "He was a sub" anyway the guy that subed him owed him alot of money and he stole all of his customers out of spite.A bidding war commenced and when it was all said and done he got all of his accounts and literaly charged 9.99 to plow the driveways.Such an idiot, but he wanted to get back at the other guy for screwing him.

He got like 25 accounts out of him.The following year he raised the prices back up to normal rates.He ate alot of labor this guy.
  16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Stuff lie that is happening around my town too. Not with me, but I have heard guys talk. It sucks when you get into a bidding war. You have 2 choices. Don't work, or work for cheap.