1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it OK to transport a plow on it's face?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beatle78, Dec 4, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I may be going to pickup a plow tonight and I am not ready to put it on my truck yet.

Is it OK to transport the plow on it's face in the bed of the truck?

Will hydraulic fluid spill out of the breather?

It's a Fisher MM1 7'

Thanks,
    beatle78

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

there is a very good chance some will come out ,unless you can plug the breather hole .

3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Why would you put the whole thing on its face and not set it in there normally? That's how I do it.

[​IMG]

4. drumbo

drumbo Member

Just set it upright...it should fit fine. I brought a Boss V plow to Missouri from Michigan in a shortbed GMC 2500 truck, a 10 ft SnoWay in the back of my F350 w/ an 8ft bed, and a Fisher in the 8ft bed of another F350.

Unless you have a minivan or something, I would bet my house you could fit it in your truck bed upright.

5. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

hehe, :blush2:

I thought I recalled my 7.5' Fisher conventional mount not fitting sideways. But that was 3 years ago when I transported it.

If it fits that way, I will do definitely do that(thanks). But if it doesn't fit, can I transport it on it's face.

6. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

ok, thanks. It's going in the back of my 1/2 ton 6.5' bed.

What kind of house do you live in? :p

7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

The pic above shows an 8' Western, along with my side mount toolbox in the bed, and the engine crane I used to load and unload it. No problems with space, and it's also a 6.5' bed. You should be fine.

8. drumbo

drumbo Member

Looks like I'm keeping my house! LOL

9. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

:D

Thanks guys. turns out the guy who has it has a fork lift to so lifting it into the back will be easy

10. drumbo

drumbo Member

Did you think about putting it in on its face because you were unsure how you were going to load it? It takes several guys to move a plow manually...and that sucks.

11. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

That was part of the reason too. I was going to rest it on the tail gate and then take a couple of guys to lift and slide..... wesport

12. drumbo

drumbo Member

You'd regret that one, too. We snapped tailgate cables doing that. Figure over half the weight on that tailgate when you start out...then it ends up on the ground in a hurry...then you are back on here or ebay buying a new one.

I would have warned against that but hey, I'm not your boss. LOL

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you carry it face down just make sure to cycle the plow a few times and recheck the resevoir.

14. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Thanks guys, got it home tonight! Guy had a forklift and we put it in the truck with ease.....

It's a 6'9" MM plow so it was a lot lighter then my 7'6" Fisher Speedcast.