1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it normal? (Smart Hitch 2)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Oct 29, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

Is it normal to have the light tower creep back down slowly when attaching the plow to the truck if you let go of the toggle switch on a smart hitch 2? It depends on when you stop moving the tower but it does to come to a complete stop at different points.

Also does only the driver's side mounting pin have the extra lock on it or am I missing one on the passenger side? Not sure what its called but it acts as a safety that works together with the on/off latches and pins.

Also the center skid shoe, is it supposed to have big cast iron plate on the bottom or is it only a rod the same width as the rest the skid shoe? Right now I am running the normal cutting edge and the rubber "puck" so I'm not sure if the skid shoe would interfere with anything if it had the plate on the bottom or it's broke/worn off. I bought it used and I'm new to snow plows so I don't know what's the norm.

Lastly, those springs that are in the grooves on the plow mount that the truck's plow frame slides into. I think they are called tensioner springs or something. They are right in the way of the holes where the pins go through to lock the plow to the truck. They are actually keeping the pins from functioning because they hit the pins before sliding through the holes. Are they supposed to be above or below that pin?

Thanks for the help!

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

-Yes its normal for the headlights to creep back down if not latched

-On a RT3 only one side locks, i would assume its the same on an RT2

-The center shoe should be the same as the others just slightly lower I think (never use the shoes)

-Those springs that are in the groove should be there blocking the pin, what happens is as you pull the headlight bar up to the truck those springs will be pushed down by the truck side mount, that will allow those pins to lock through he truck side and then back into the plow side( the pins are spring loaded and thats why those springs are there, to keep the pins from closing or locking untill the truck side mount is in place). Sometimes what may happen is the springs aren't lubed properly and the pin will push right on through and not allow the truck side be be hitched. Happened to me one time, one side hooked the other didn't wow what a headache.

Any questions ask.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Awesome thanks ford6.9!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's completely normal for the light tower to creep down when no pressure is applied. In fact, many times during detach you don't even have to power the lift tower down with the SH switch after the pins disconnect. The tower is weighted enough that gravity alone will lower it (after you bump it to raise to take the tension off the attaching pins) the SH switch just speeds the process.

Yes there is only a lock latch for the attaching pins on the driver side pin as they come from Boss. A good safety tip is to add the second one on the pass side...just for good measure if your a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Sounds like the bottom foot is gone off the shoe. If your going to run it with the shoes (most don't) be sure to replace it or you will do some serious trench digging on customer accounts. :D

They should be reasonably close to the middle of the attaching pin. Those torsion springs are what hold the pins out of place after you flip the attaching levers to the "on" position. When you drive into the plow with the truck, the truck mount pushes the torsion spring out of the way allowing the attaching pins to "snap" into and through the receiving holes in the truck mount.

Use it a few times, you'll get the in's and out's of it. :waving:

P.S. Looks like ford6.9 and I were responding at the same time...

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's completely normal for the light tower to creep down when no pressure is applied. In fact, many times during detach you don't even have to power the lift tower down with the SH switch after the pins disconnect. The tower is weighted enough that gravity alone will lower it (after you bump it to raise to take the tension off the attaching pins) the SH switch just speeds the process.

BB,I thought that you should always use the power down switch,unless it doesn't work?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, they're not finicky.

7. sherwin

sherwin Member

We always use the power switch to bring the tower down. They may have fixed the issue, but a few years ago ours would leak out fluid if we let gravity do it. Our service guy said it happens if not powered down, ever since no fluid loss.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it pushes fluid out when gravity dropping then it has too much in it.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Thanks B&B. If I were to add a second lock pin I'm assuming I would order the same part #'s as the driver's side since there isn't one listed for the passenger's side in the manual?

Thanks grandview and everyone else too!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Takes the same components on either side. :waving:

11. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Good to know, thanks :bluebounc