1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it me, or are people dragging their feet everywhere?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kodiakguy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Ive been in the business for several years, the last few it seems that everyone is pushing off re-signing or signing till almost the last minute. I was trying to renew one of our condo's in August, and the property manager said it wont be till October, but we got them back.

Other places are much the same. I have one property I was asked to bid on, the manager told me "we got time". Im thinking its the second week of October for crying out loud, how much time do you think we have? Other bids are still sitting on desks without an answer, people just pushing it off.

Don't get me wrong, we have all of our renewals, and im greatfull for that. But trying to add and grow.

Anyone else having problems getting people to commit?

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

This last week was real good. Got a couple new ones signed. Weathers been too nice.

3. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I'd agree it seems like everyone is dragging there feet, we have eveyone locked in from last year plus a couple new ones but still have quite a few bids that we are waiting to hear on.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDK, I was complaining about the same thing this time last season,lol. We are lucky this season I think, our door hangers should be here by Tuesday and they are calling for really cold temps with some wet snow mixed in at the end of the week. This should at least get people thinking very soon.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, clients drag their feet I just got in two bid packages yesterday, & have two big box stores we did last year that are supposed to be 3 season deals that have been giving me the runaroud since I contacted them in July to confirm, the equipment for their sites is no going to another account we picked up.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

26 seasons and nothing has changed.Waiting till the last minute.

7. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Personally, we have not been bidding anymore for almost a month now. Our routes are already full. VERY early signups this year. I hate turning it all away. Not going to add more trucks though if they will just be extras at other times of the year. Plus, we can cherry pick them this way :)

8. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Same thing here. Residential all signed and in, commercials "I will get to it next week." Same battle always you can call,email, drop on by it just gets delayed until the weather men predict a first event. Normally it drives me crazy but given the economic world we are in there is just no sense in trying to control what you can not. It just is crazy that after 19 years of plowing it's the same old game.

9. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

I signed a few big ones this year but your correct it took way longer then expected. I had to let a few machines i had reserved go because i had no answer and wether or not i would need them! So it put me in a bind for a full day trying to find another couple of machines for this season. Still waiting on 4 bids to come back from other places.

10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Maybe that's part of the difference.. I am 70% Residential and Condo Associations. :nod:

11. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Could be. Were almost 100% Condo and Commercial. We only have 2 residentials, and we only have thoes because we pass them going to or from our parents and outlaws. They are people we know and understand where our priorities are.