1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it like this??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dingybigfoot, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

My first season coming up. I'm going to be plowing resi's.
    I've had luck with call backs from my flyers.
    I have 13 pending accounts. And i've locked in one for the season.
    I've done my estimates quoted my prices, but i get the feeling these folks are either
    price shopping, or waiting for when the snow starts to fly.
    What do you guys think??
    Oh yeah, and i got a call from a guy today tryna get me to quote on the phone.
    I told him i need to see his property. He still insisted. I said no, and then he got off the
    phone. WHats up with that??

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

welcome to wonderful world of wackos. people are always shopping for a better price, just dont take it personal. provide good service and it will pay off for you in the end

3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

You need to call your "pending" back and advise them that if they wait for the snow to fly, that the rates you quoted them will no longer be valid, and they will pay a higher rate if they do not sign now, as for the phone call you recieved, it was probably another contractor "fishing" for your price so the sob can lowball you!!!!!payuppayup

4. tom_mccauley

X 2 Hit the nail right on the head!!!!

5. dingybigfoot

i hear that!

6. dingybigfoot

Thanks for the advice. I'm on it.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

yeah basically you have 1 account so far. those other 13 are usless until you close them. Id have hunderes of lawn accounts if I included peding accounts. CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE!

8. tom_mccauley

Try not to be too pushy w/ possible customers, just let them know that you only have X (insert number here) spots available on your route, and you have xx (contracts pending) and you can not guarantee them a spot if they do not act fast, as you can only do so many homes/storm!:angel:payuppayup (if you snooze you're shoveling!!!)

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would tell them they have the chance to get your ONLY opening. If they don't committ now and wait till the snow flies it may be too late and ALOT more expensive.

10. dingybigfoot

thanks guys!!
    valuable info.

11. davewh

davewh Member

Starting to get worried

I here ya, i'm sort of in the same boat as you in Ontario I've handed out about 500 flyers and I have a website advertise on our local Kijiji. and so far I only have 3 paid residential contracts so far, I started with my own landscaping company this summer and invested a lot of dough. this is absolutely a tough business to many guys in my area just doing it for beer money.

www.trademarklandscaping.ca

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

most people dont call until it snows even thou my contracts go out the end of september the middle of october at the latest. Also alot of people think they can save money buy just calling u in the middle of a big storm and not having you the rest of the season. And then they wonder why i dont answer my phone if i dont have there number.:eek:

13. davewh

davewh Member

Nice Ride

Hey Kevin,

I just looked at your photobucket of your f150 very nice, I'm starting out with f150's and Snow way plows, first season.

Dave

14. KGRlandscapeing

It dose what it needs to i need too get the plow back on and take a few pics with it all letterd up. get some pics of your truck up. Its more surprising then i thought it would be.

15. dingybigfoot

Yep! Those who do it for beer money definately make it harder.

16. dingybigfoot

I'm figuring thats whats going to happen.

17. tom_mccauley

You can Bank on it!!!!!!, Just be sure to stick to you guns, and hit them for a premium rate when they do call, and they WILL call believe me they will!!!!.payuppayuppayuppayup

18. davewh

davewh Member

I hope your right Tom or my family will be eating the tires off my trucks this winter LOL

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One thing I do is make a blanket statement that I won't take on anything after the snow falls. The reason for this is not only to get potentials to make up their minds, but that I can't tell what's under the snow. I want to scope out the site and plan for any site. You really can't do that after it's snowed. Plowing after it's snowed is really plowing blind. Just too much chance of damaging equipment and their property. Even small ditches get hidden with snow. That's why you use markers.

20. KGRlandscapeing

Mick brings up a really solid point if they call mid storm where do you put the snow. Well deep snow pretty much has a mind of its own. When you stop moving thats where its gonna stay. Also drives that are on inclines or hidden drives or ones on main roads you gotta up the price for things like that. Its always better to know the land befor you have to battle on it