1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it just me?.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by salopez, Aug 21, 2008.

1. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Or are people just not learning the business any more?

All the posts I see are...how long to do this...how much salt should I use?

I spend many years plowing for others and learning the business before I ventured on my own. Additionally I drive my prospective lots in the day...at night...and then walk the entire thing before I even bid it!

Then I know the standard production levels of the equipment I use so I KNOW how long it should take. Ofcourse there are variables but man you have to know a liitle bit about your equipment...

I guess thats my my customers are happy at the end of the year....

Here is a good rule of thumb production scale for an open lot all in acre per hour...

truck with 8foot blade 1

skid with 8 foot box 1.5-2
    skid with 10 foot box 1.8 - 2.2

backhoe with 12ft box 2.5-3.5

loader with 16 ft box 5-6

Everything is dependent on your local, type of snow, operater and the such....

oh and I have stated in the past I salt heavy at 800 lbs per acre.

Hope this helps.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Good info! Hope it's useful for others!:cool:

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with you Sal. People should check the prices in their OWN area to see what others are charging. Prices vary ALOT depending on location.

4. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i dunno

i agree, seriously just get out there drive it/ measure it and figure out your numbers not too hard people

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I just look at the lot anymore and price it.. But I have been doing it awile

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

And people on this site think I am an AZZhole for telling guys that ask these questions to stop wasting my time.

I always say "helping these guys is like giving away your own business or helping a friend lose his" See thier I go again

I had to do it all myself, as did most of you guys.

J.

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

J,

I agree I dont mine helping with some things but pricing is my own thing, just like my contract is my own thing.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

its alot easier to come on here and ask other people how to bid your own account or to find out how much salt to put down... good thing i work for someone or id be asking these Q's too..:rolleyes::D

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

very good post salopez. couldnt agree more. im 24, ive been plowing since i was 12, and on my own now for 6 years. over the course of time if youre aware and motivated, you learn the business. you cant just decide one day to plow snow, not know anything about it, ask a million questions and think you know enough to go out and plow. dont get me wrong, i dont mind helping out the newbies, or anyone for that matter who needs help. that being said, i try not to offer too much because everyone else is my potential competition.

plowing is a learned skill. it takes time and experience, not a message board.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not to go off subject but, if I plow a lot and turn the truck around instead of backing up and it takes half as long then. Should I charge only half the price ?:D

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Ditto.....well said grandview and salopez.

It is too easy for these guys to get the information they seek........yet over and over the same questions are asked with many great answers given. I'm still amazed how little effort many exhibit by doing no research here (which truly is a great source) and asking the same thing.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I guess all the new people CAN'T read and just want to plow snow and make millions and millions of dollars and put NO effort in it.

13. grandview

Can I get a job like that?

14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

come sell ice cream in jersey:rolleyes:payup:pxysport

15. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Guys who have been plowing for 10years are still learning! Wheather its from marketing to bidding & estimating, theres always one aspect that needs improving. Ya kinda need to live it & be it. And BTW I know wayy more than 06 does! lol lol :D :p :waving:

16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Is 4 inches alot of snow? Should i plow twice?:rolleyes:

17. MightySal

MightySal Junior Member

Yes! For Jersey is a lot for a season!xysport That is probably a 1/4" a storm.:waving:
    Just kidding in the same boat as you.:yow!:

18. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

youre probably right. i dont even own a plow. i just learn by watching the town trucks go by. ;)

19. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Welcome to the world wide web...

By the way is it okay to put a 9' Boss on my 1/2 ton?

How much should I charge the local Wal Mart for a push? Do you buy salt by the bag for that???

:drinkup:

20. grandview

I had a 9ft Western on a 77 Chevy short box.

Tell wal-Mart you'll do it for a gift card.And you get the salt from BK and sprinkle it on when you drive around,