1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it illeagal to use your plows headlights if the plow isnt on the truck????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robhollar, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Is it illeagal to use your plows headlights if the plow isnt on the truck???? Anybody ever gotten a ticket for running them? No real reason Im asking, just wondering...Rob

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It may vary by state, but I would think headlights are headlights. As long as they are aimed properly it shouldn't matter. :D

3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Do you mean have both your plow lights and headlights on?

Technicaly most places don't allow more than two forward facing white lights on a vehicle.

They have been changing the laws a lot lately, but at one point if you didn't turn your fog/driving lights off for oncomming traffic, you could be fined.

Most place underwrote laws allowing for this. But if you have your plow lights + headlights on for no reason you would probably get a fine. The same reason you can't run rack lights on public roads.

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Even if it's not illegal, it might be obnoxious when you are behind a car, you would shone in in their back window.

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

A lot of states have laws about lights above the hood line. A snowplow is an exception, but it the plow is off the lights should be off.

6. Trails End Lawn

Trails End Lawn Junior Member

hey

Im a Police Officer in Iowa and here it is not illegal to have headlights. Our law states that all lights originally on a vehicle must be in operation. The exception to this is your headlights are working you are just by passing them to the plowlights. Some officers may have some problems with the way the plow lights are angled pointing in some ones eyes but if you get that straightend out you should be ok. t

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

plow lights

i leave mine on year around ya get a better view of the road !!

8. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

I'd say it depends on the cop. I think there are laws against lifted trucks that may use the height of the headlights as a guide.

9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Trails End, thanks for the response on this one. I have a related question to throw in. As a semi driver (and pickup and plow), over the years I've come to the habit of turning off my headlights at a traffic light, when the driver in front of me seems to be getting hit in the eyes by the lights. Do you see any legality issues with doing this. I do it out of courtesy for the others and have never forgot to turn them back on,

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We adjust the aim on the plow lights so they are legal when the plow is on and in the up position. When we lower the plow to start plowing the lighting is a little high. I would think if you drove around without the plow then these lights would be shinning to high.

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Thats a good point cet. I usually adjust my lights each year after adding the ballast to the rear, so I'm not blinding people when running with the plow off.

12. Trails End Lawn

Trails End Lawn Junior Member

wellll...

Though it is out of kindness you turn off your light. Yes it is an issue. Per most state laws while operating on a public highway with a motor vehicle you should have atleast 2 forward facing lights illuminated in non-lighted conditions. I understand what you are saying but if you get a dick cop or fail the attitude surrvey yes he could write you for it.

13. Dave Sponaugle

Dave Sponaugle Junior Member

Most states have a maximum headlight height as part of their inspection laws.
    If your plow lights are within this limit I would say you are OK.
    Somewhere I saw a listing for that state by state, I think it was in one of the lifted truck sites.

14. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I've been reading that in some states(MA) it is either now or will be illegal to run with headgear on if the plow is not mounted. I'm not sure if this applies to all wt. classes of vehicles or what the fine print is. Anyone know?

15. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I'm not sure about the legality, but here's a story for you. I had the Meyer Easy Mount head gear on my truck one winter, plow off and a guy in an extremely expensive conversion van backed into the lift arm on the pump. It opened the side of that van up like a can opener (pardon the pun). When he pulled away from the truck, I could actually see the kids inside peeking out the hole! Needless to say, his wife gave him an ear full that afternoon.

Marshall

16. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

This is how it is in here in Minnesota if anyone from this state is wondering as well. Unless the plow is on the truck the lights can not be used. If your curious what the statute is; it is 169.56 (Auxilary lighting) sub.5(a). Here's a direct link if you want to know anymore laws for you that live in this fine state of Minnesota.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/

Keep in mind though that the State of MN has set the bar for what is allowed. The individual cities though can place more strichter laws on what they will/will not allow to happen in their city. Also keep in mind the commercial vehicle laws. I don't know what other states require, but here in MN if you are for hire-making a profit for the benefit of your company or are above a certain amount of weight and operating a business, then you are considered a commercial veh. The best advice for knowing what you fall under is going to the MN State Patrol website and clicking on commercial vehicles on the left hand side of the site. If it's not clear enough, just call them and they will direct you to a commercial vehicle inspector who can help with the laws. This is not to scare, but trust me. You want to make sure you are legal. The fines are not nice here in this state if you are in violation. I know becuase I work with these commercial vehicle inspectors from time to time. Just trying to be helpful on this matter.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol/

Hey Robhollar,
    I would suggest doing a search under google to look for you state traffic laws, or if you are having a hard time finding something, just call your local agency, or ask someone you know who is an officer.