1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it even worth owning a diesel anymore?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OhioPlower, Oct 26, 2005.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 04 duramax and the price of diesel is outrageous. Depending on where you go there is up to $1.25 difference between gas and diesel. Is it even worth owning a diesel anymore? tell me what you guys think
  2. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

I know what you mean. The difference here just reached about a 50 cents. What is the deal? Is diesel not a by-product of gasoline and less expensive to make? Montana avg price per gallon 3.09 diesel and 2.69 gas!:yow!: :realmad: :gunsfiring:
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls?

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i think it is, diesel will go down one day.
  5. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I'm getting used to paying more for diesel in the winter - it's supply and demand. Diesel and home heating oil are basically the same product, and guess what is in demand with winter just around the corner? It will go down again in February when the coldest snaps are behind us.
  6. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Throw a porti pot in the cab with a bottle of water and its an RV and considered a home. Home heating oil $2.49 a gal diesel $3.49 a gal:nod:
    Guess I'll be plowing with my RV:drinkup:
  7. westwind

westwind Member

No, not for snow.
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Perfect, could'nt of said it better :redbounce
  9. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Heard on the news..... the reason gas prices are going down is because of the import and oil reserves were now using. Diesel prices are expected to remain the same if not rise with winter around the corner. There is lower import of diesel. The truckers could put the hurt on them though but if that happens get ready for everything to rise.

"Is it even worth owning a diesel anymore? tell me what you guys think"

Depends on what you use it for... just plowing or a daily driver... NO

Plowing, towing, hauling, pulling... then maybe

Comes down to using the right tool for the job at hand..
  10. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

And when the D.O.T pulls you over and peeks n your fuel tank and test for off road fuel that has no highway tax paid , guess who gets a real nice ticket ?
  11. Dchris

Dchris Junior Member

Very good Question! I just ordered a new truck with a diesel... perhaps i should have gotten gas.

I perfer to plow with the diesel. I think it does a better job of getting the power to the ground. While plowing/salting the diesel is nice for long time idle or work. But the price of diesel is getting out of hand.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  12. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i'd still get a diesel. I'd take a diesel over a gasser any day
  13. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

news break from northern illinois:deisel dropped in price today In sugar grove it went from 3.459 to 3.359 and I hope it will go lower.But the bastards in addison still have it at 3.499.
  14. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

(1) How much of a price difference are we talking between #1 and #2 diesel?
    (2) The dye and oil in #2 diesel won't hurt your truck at all? Any side effects?

I need to jump on this since bush gave the ok!
  15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

well now that I made this post diesel dropped 30 cents per gallon today in my area.
  16. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

I think about 80¢ cheaper is what the rd. taxes add up to in ohio
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

so ALL stations that sell off road deisel are basically the home heating oil type? ive seen this at a few places, just figured it was low grade or dirty fuel... thats awesome. I would certainly run that a lot in a pickup if i used it all the time, ive only seen dot in Jersey stop the 18 wheel rigs, never picksup and checking their fuel thats rediculous lol.
  18. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

I fill up yesterday $ 2.99 a gallon for #1 diesel. It was $ 3.50 a few days ago.
  19. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I paid 3.29 this morning. Filled up the ford for $113.00.
  20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

from what i understand if you get caught running red fuel, you have to pay big big fines. in the neighbor hood of 10,000 or so. but hey, since you are not paying to use the roads, just help out when you can. drop your blade when running down the road in the winter to help plow. :rolleyes: