1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is it big enuff?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcf, Dec 10, 2003.

1. bcf

bcf Senior Member

So I'm finally getting my 7 1/2' Western put o my 250 ex. cab long bed this Friday. I got the 7 1/2' because I'll be doing mostly driveways, and don't want to ruin any grass, mailboxes, etc. But I've been reading that my blade may not even cover my rearend tires in turns. Will I be ok just not making tight turns? I was looking at those Pro wings- are they any good? Do I weld them, or bolt them, being able to take them off if need be? Two of my drives are circles, but the one I can't even drive around w/o the plow, so maybe I'm jsut over concerned.

One other thing. I bought a Ariend 524 last week, and over the weekend it was only shooting snow mayby 3', and that was with the wind. Took it back to the dealer, and he made some adjustments, adn got it to shoot 12' in 1st gear. I get it home and of course it only shoots 6' in 1st for me. the snow in my drive was alot heavier, but shouldn't it throw more? I would think at least 15'. Friday night it was throwing just far enuff to get over the machine, so the 1st pass was 6' deep, going up to 16' on the last. Really sucked.

Sorry this was so long. Thanx for any help. Matt
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I think you made a wise choice with the 7 1/2 foot blade. I have a 7 1/2 and the pro-wings on my truck. The cool thing about the pro wings are they don't tear up grass as readily as a steel blade. Therefore, you can let the pro wing hang off a bit and still be safe with the grass. Also, they are a snap to remove if you have a long way to go between lots. I rarely take mine off. The total length of the blade with the wings will be 9 1/2 feet. It is illegal to drive down the road with that width but I have never been hassled. Everyone here does it.

As far as tight turns go, your blade may not cover you 100% so you may have to make one more pass. No biggie. If you get the wings you will be more than covered. They are a great investment. I highly recommend them.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I think 7.5 is fine i put an 8ft western on a f350 should of went with a 7.5 oh well good luck
  4. bowties&meyers

bowties&meyers Junior Member

Wings are the way to go!

I'm surprised not to see more more people using wings.
    2" to 4" they work great, i rarely ever take mine off.
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Do they make wings for BOSS plows, or is there some way of adapting them ??:confused:
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i think you should have put a 8ft-8.5ft on your truck. but the 7.5 is fine. pro-wings are the way to go no doubt about it:)
  7. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

meyer i do beleive the 8-8.5 is way big for that truck to heavy i should say so he has to make one more pass its only a 250 single wheel 7.5 is good.