1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it big enough?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by UTAH, Feb 21, 2009.

1. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

I just moved onto a private lane with seven houses. It's probably about 60 yards long with two 25 yard branches. This year the developer payed for snow removal, but next year we have to take care of it (pay someone). I'm thinking about buying a Polaris Sportsman 500 or 600 with a 60 inch plow. We get about 60 inches (most of it is pretty light) of total snowfall. What are your opinions?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sure go for it. If its light snow it will handle it

3. FOX-SNO-REMOVAL

FOX-SNO-REMOVAL Senior Member

Ya it will handle it with out a problem. I plow at least that much if not more with my Rubicon 500 with a 60in plow. I don't know if there is anything that will stop it! So once again, hell ya go for it.

4. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Thats the key. If you are going to get a lot of snow you better be out there staying on top of it. IT is always fun to play but after while it won't be fun any more IMO.

Something a little more heavy duty would be my suggestion. A small tracter with a cab on it would be best IMO They you can use the tractor for yardwork too.

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I would go with 500 or bigger. put a nice big blade up front and a rear blade for back draggin. I just put one on mine and makes life a lot easier for doing sidewalks and stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

If it's light snow, a 500 w/60" plow should handle it with no problems. If it's paved... easier yet.

I have a 500 w/60" plow and I plow a 275 ft dirt driveway without any problems, and we get some wet snow. I moved about 5" of the heavy, wet stuff a couple of nights ago. It was a workout for the plow and machine, but it did it.

7. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

We use a polaris sportman 600 w/ 60" blade on it and it seems to have an extreme amount of power... unstoppable! I havn't had a big snowfall to test it out on the extreme heavy stuff (we've had only a few inches so far :( )but I have pushed big windrows and it's takin' it like cake so far. Btw, the 600 has 25% more torque than the 500... so I would reccomend 600 or 700 w/ the 60" blade for your case. 500 would work but 600 or 700 would be better. Absoluely don't get anything under 500!

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

400's are very quick too. I had one I know lol.

9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

That is a pretty cool set up. How do you use the backblade. Another warn winch?

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

nope an electric acuator raises it and lowers it. it is a nice setup. especially going down a sidewalk. I used it today to clear a path in my backyard. and it dug up crusty snow without an issue. I will post pics of it in a little bit.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

12. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

Thanks for the input. I just picked up an '03 Sportsman 600. It came with a 2500lb winch and a 48" three angle blade. The blade is smaller than I wanted but even at the tightest angle it coves the tire is pushes towards. It should be fun!

13. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Good for you! That's the same one we have! They're great machines! You might be able to get a blade only (60") for a $150 to fit the frame you have now... it will go faster with the bigger blade!

Here's a pic of ours with the blade.

[​IMG]

14. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

that set up should due you fine.

I would recomend getting a 60" county blade for it. you'll wing/throw the snow back farther and clear more with each pass. If you due get a snow fall that is to much for the 60" blade you can also putt the 48" back on and tear through the deep snow with that.

good luck and thanks for posting.

sublime out.

15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Just put some wings on it. I am sure you could fab something up pretty cheep. I had a polaris 500HO with a 48" plow. It was a bear. You will be happy with it.

Just stay up with the heavy snow. If you don't you will regret it.

16. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a cheap plow truck.

I can't believe there are 7 house on 330 feet of road. So I think it is longer. You can get a plow truck for half the cost of the quad and you will be in the warm cab.

Good Luck

17. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

the problem i see with the plow truck is if you dont use it when you need it , youll need to fix it lol. i did that and like i said we got 4' of snow at once and i go out and that pos wouldnt start. it was hood deep of course. the bad thing was i just put a grand into it lol, fuel pump lol. i finished that year on a wheel horse tractor lol. the bigger the better when you want to work them imo

18. UTAH

UTAH Member
    from Utah

I don't have anywhere to park another truck and I'm not willing to put one on my current truck. Also I wanted a four wheeler anyways.

19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya a quad you can take out in the summer and spring and have fun on. the snow isnt even gone and I am out riding already.

20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Curious, Why not?