1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it any cheaper

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John M, Mar 2, 2004.

1. John M

John M Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    Just wodering if it is any cheaper to buy a new plow this time of year...Just thought maybe if the dealers didnt want to store them all summer that maybe they would try and get rid of them???Anyone know of any good deals around Western MA???Let me know...Thanks, John
  2. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

My guess there's alot of guys wanting to get rid of their plows cause no snow no money to make payments
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I just bought my first plow, an 8' Boss HD TripEdge with SmartHitch 2 (what Boss calls their 'minute mount') and it cost me about $3,700.00, completely installed with a 'Smartouch' hand-held controller.

The place I got it from is reputable in town (Middleboro, MA --- not much help to you in Western MA I know) and the owner is a really decent guy and has sold plows since the 60's. He told me that their price is competitive (he also gave me $100.00 off the price he originally quoted when I picked it up) and that they order new plows in June. He said next years models are between 3 and 8 percent more expensive due to manufacturers annual increases.

We didn't get into anything about leftovers from this year that might be still hanging around into the spring, but I didn't want to bother waiting. I don't know if he was giving me a b/s story or not, but it didn't seem it. I don't know if this is any help to you, but it was my experience. I hope to hell I got a good price, but I will say the Boss is one hell of a plow to look at and it's got it all over the Fisher as far as mounting goes with a "touch of a button" system to raise the light tower and engage the lock pins.

Of course, me buying a new plow means it's pretty much guaranteed we won't get another flake around here until next January. Good luck............
  4. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I got my Fisher Vplow this time last year for 3000 out the door uninstalled. Alot of equipment places need to move inventory to get ready for the lawn season. So yes this is a good time to buy!!
  5. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

I would say check around the pittsfield or springfield area where the dealers are a little bigger. a lot of the smaller town dealers don't order the plow until you put in an order for one so they are probably not likely to have any just kicking around but I'll keep my eyes open. What kind of plow make ---size--and vehicle are you looking to put it on?
  6. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Try the Allen Lawnmower Company...In Agawm Mass. I believe and Enfield, and Granby Connecticut. All of their branches install Fisher plows.
  7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You might try the truck dealers. If they stock plows (most around here don't) they may not want them sitting around all spring. I know Fisher does stock ordering in the spring for delivery in summer. When I worked at a dealership my plows always showed up on the hottest day of the year. Also, while they may not want to carry over the inventory form year to year, the upside for the plow dealer is that there is usually little or no difference in plows from one year to the next. Comw fall we were selling them all for the new prices regardless of whether they were "last year's" or not.
  8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

John M

Where are you located? Try A.C.T. in Westfield. Or Hartford Truck Equ. in South Windsor,Ct...They buy them by the truck load.

9. John M

John M Junior Member

I am looking to put it on my 2001 GMC 2500 HD extended cab. There is a Fisher dealer in town but his prices are just too high. I know what everyone is going to say but money is money. If I can save it buying it, it will make a big difference if the wife lets me get it or not. What size plow do you guys recomend for that truck. It is just going to be for driveways and anything else I can get hooked up to plow. If the price is right I would luv a VPlow. What are the going prices??thanks
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you consider the price for a straight Fisher too high, there's no use looking into a V plow. Just look in your local phone book for all plow dealers. Call them and ask the price for their smallest plow of 7.5' range. Go with the cheapest and you can kick yourself later.
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

John M, welcome to the site, I'm trying to do the same thing with a salt spreader and not having much luck.. I have hit a few of the big boys in town but the deals are not there. I guess I'll keep looking.:)
  12. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

John, You may also want to keep your eye on wantaddigest adds sometimes you will see used plows in like new condition for a lot less (look in truck accessories) maybe you'll get lucky there? I would think you would want a least an 8ft plow for your truck.
  13. snowbiter

snowbiter Member

Oh yeah V plows around here run around 5grand installed
  14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

My buddy just got a 7.6' Boss V smarthitch for $3600 installed.
    I paid about $4800 for My 10' boss v smarthitch last year.