1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it a good truck for my budget?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by adam5557, Nov 16, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Hey guys i found a truck i am interested in let me know your opinion on it. It has 112,000 miles on it.2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500, 4x4, all pwr, V8, ext cab, new brakes\ tires\ tune up, dual 2" Flowmaster exhaust, white 6' bed, bedliner, exc cond, $14,250.Little worried on the tranny , but then again i have a 95 chevy 160,000 miles and it hasnt gone. Any comments?thanks

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

That is not a HD #1, #2 price too high... I paid $22k for an 05 HD. #3 too many miles. Not a good plow truck.
  3. adam5557

adam5557 Member

Why isnt it a good plow truck and also what should i offer him.thanks for the help.adam
  4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Does it have the snow plow prep package on it?

Does this person have all the service records? Is it dry underneath? How are those tires wearing, evenly? When you brake and take your hands off the wheel which way does it pull? Does it shift cleanly and crisply through all the gears?

Have you driven it yet? Those flowmasters might get a little annoying after 3 or 4 hours behind the wheel. Something else to think about.

I personally feel that $14k is a big sack to drop on a truck that has 100k miles on it.
  5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Great Quetions. I agree on price way; to high for mileage.
  6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

it's not a heavy duty so the suspension is weaker. I dont think its a really good plow truck because #1 it looks awefully low to the ground. maybe thats just the picture but by the time you add a plow it will get lower then you risk bottoming out all the time. #2 that is a lot of miles on a gas truck. Its not just the engine either, you have to remember that the tranny has the same miles on it too (unless its a rebuild) and #3 that price is too high. You can get a diesel engine with less miles on it for less then that. The truck might be alittle older with the diesel but it will most likely last longer.
  7. payton

payton Senior Member

for comparison. take a look at the photos section and look for my post on the truck i just bought

2000 gmc 2500 ext cab already set up with a 8'2" boss v plow 93k on the clock.

i paid 10250 out the door.

8. adam5557

adam5557 Member

What is a good site to look at used trucks beside autotrader?thanks
  9. payton

payton Senior Member

indiana auto & rv its a free rag for indiana oh ky ill mi. area

google the name as i dont know the website off the top of my head.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

High miles, but nice looking truck..
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I like the HD much better, but I wouldnt count a regular 2500 out. My work truck is an 01 2500 non HD, 6.0 with 245,000 miles. Only things it has had changed is the passenger side exhaust manifold and motor mount last week, and a driveshaft last year because it ran over something. Only a 2wd and no plow, but it tows a trailer with skidsteers or excavators every day, and usually has a few hundred lbs of equipment in the bed. So, I wouldn't worry about the transmission. For some reason, (and the only thing I can think of is rearend gears) this truck has twice the power of every other 6.0 4wd I've used. Oh yeah, that's too much money. There is a truck just like that only black with silver trim at the bottom, near where I live, it has been for sale for 11,000 for quite some time now. Also know of 2 2500HDs with V-plows, either could be had for under 14,000.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005