1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is GPS the Answer to Managing A Snow Business Successfully?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crewtracker, Dec 29, 2010.

1. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

Find out the positives and negatives of using GPS units in your snow removal business, and the 12 questions you must ask yourself!

Link to the blog article:

Like CrewTracker Software on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at crewtrackersnow
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if you cant keep track of your crew during a storm maybe you need a new crew
    cell phones work great
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Technology is great for MANY things. I prefer a more "hands on" approach to managing my employees.
  4. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

You gotta push a lot of snow to pay for that! I don't think its even an option. Big dollars for a system!
  5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

do you mean that people were not succesful in the snow business before GPS was invented?
  6. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

A lot of times people's first question to us is "Does CrewTracker use GPS units? (A: no CrewTracker does not use GPS units because they are costly and don't tell you everything you need to know to manage a snow business. We use an IVR system that works with any cell phone and is way, way less in price than GPS units.)

Since people are talking about them, we thought it would be fun to write about the general positives and negatives about GPS units.
  7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well since someone mentioned something that was relative to what I was think. So that beig said I'll put in my two cents; If you can't trust your crew then they shouldn't be working for you!
    Now I would love to put a gps tracker in all of my equipment even my mowers just in case they are stolen, I can find them.

Now I have a question, is this Crew Tracker an App fo iPhone and the droid and BB? or do I have to buy a new phone.
  8. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

response to BossPlow2010----

CrewTracker's IVR system works on any cell phone whether it's the cheapest prepaid cell phone from Walmart or the most expensive Blackberry, Droid or iPhone. So no, you do not need to buy a new phone for yourself and since everyone has a cell phone now you wouldn't have to by a bunch of new phones for your crews to use because they can already use their own cell phones they already have.
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

does it keep a history like Discrete Wireless does?? That what we use at work....
  10. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

Can't really comment on Discrete Wireless because I don't know enough about it but as far as saving data with CrewTracker Software, it is saved in 2 places for as long as you would like until you decide to delete the history. If you ever need to show your history of work in a court case its easy to do because there are hundreds of reports (easy to read) that you can present to lawyers and judges showing your company's past work at individual properties.
  11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

So can it work on a pager?
  12. 1olddogtwo

is this anything like what m-coment program does? We use that thru sprint/nextel ?
  13. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

it doesn't work with pagers because you have to be able to respond to the prompts either by voice or buttons.

If you want, you can try a demo of it..

choose option 2 and you can use 1233 as an example plow route or 2187 as an example salting route.

or choose a different option and you can log a crew in using example crew # 13

If you have more specific questions regarding the IVR you can always call Daniel or Randy at 877-427-4047
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

"mComet...works 30% of the time, all the time"

15. 1olddogtwo

LOL, its been better this year...i take that you use it
  16. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Used to with an outfit I worked with.

As the time, it was entirely useless. It didn't help that the crew was too stubborn/stupid to use it...and the upper management was to spineless to enfore the procedures and accompanying consequences.

These things have their place, but they are not a replacement for smart employees.
  17. crewtracker

crewtracker Inactive

Comet uses GPS and CrewTracker Software does not use GPS, we use an IVR system because you can do more things with it like....know the start and stop of a crew on each property, start and stop time of a crew per day, know what type and how much material was used, record the snow depth, and much more. Plus you don't have to buy a smart phone or any other extra hardware.
  18. turboplow3

turboplow3 Junior Member

My boss has GPS on all of his trucks but mine! He lets a few of us take trucks home b/c first he trusts us and second it saves him and us money. I know he had a few bad experiences early this snow season with two new guys. One ended up in jail the night after the first storm for a DUI in the plow truck. The second guy said he was sick but he really had the truck stuck in 4ft of mud in a field cause he was hunting with a buddy. Really, in a f250 plow truck with a spreader and 1ton sand. This truck was already squating from being overloaded with sand. So after one storm, two less plow drivers, and a $3grand loss to the tow company. He got GPS on all the trucks but mine. Not that I would care. It would be nice because then he wouldnt have to call to see where I am (when a one time service is needed on a new account). Plus, GPS does send him a message when his trucks leave the preset area he has determined for them. Pretty cool stuff.
  19. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I almost fell off my chair when I heard how expensive crew tracker software was. Just about 10 grand... I would have to plow so much snow, and that program would have to be able to control the amount of snow we get for me to shell out that kind of cash.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Save your money. Use two way radios or cell phones . call your crews up on the radio and ask them there location and how they are doing.After a while you will know how long each route should take and know where they are.Your voice on the radio will get there attention fast.Sometime high teck stuff doesn't count like a kick in the behind...