1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is fluffy snow the same....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

last friday we got 12" of light fluffy snow. i did most of my accounts in 1 push. i charged everyone 1.5 thier rate.payup

so far 1 person has cancelled his contract because of the increased charge, stating that "i could have blown it away with my leave blower" and "it's not like it was hard on your equipment"

my contract states that the rate quoted is garanteed to 6". additional charges will apply after that. nothing is mentioned of light or heavy snow.

does this ever come up? (light fluffy snow?)

so how would you have handled this situation?

thanks in advance
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That is why you state inches in your contract and not weather it's light or heavy.Tell that customer that when you had heavy snow that was under your 6" rate you should of been charged twice because it was heavy and see what they will say.They will say nothing .
  3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

thank you cat320

just as i was thinking.
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Customer sounds like a PITA to me, might be better off with out him.
  5. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Why didnt they call you and ask to skip them that storm, so he could blow it off instead?

Wet and heavy, or dry and light....either way you responded to his needs and took care of the account didnt you? That is worth something. Why can he determine what is hard and easy on your equipment now....did he just become an expert? Funny how they say this after.

Maybe you can call him back and make a new contract based on weight of the snow!....;)
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agree with all the above. You set your charge by the depth, not the type of snow. Besides, for me 12" would be twice the "base rate" (for 3" - 6"), not 1 1/2. Let it go and don't look back. There's got to be more out there.
  7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We had something similiar happen to us on Christmas. Got about 10 in. total, plowed this one place about 1 A.M. Christmas morning, then went and did them again on Christmas night. Got a call from the owner early in the day on Christmas, complaining that he wanted us to wait till it stopped snowing before we plowed. We told him that was not how we run our business, his contract calls for us to come out for anything over 3 inches. He argued a little more, and we told him to go find someone else, we would not have him dictate to us how to do our job. We explained that we would not do anything over 6 in. in one push, too hard on the equipment. He then said that he was very happy with us, and did not want anyone else to plow his business. He even told me two weeks ago that someone else stopped in and asked about plowing his place, he told them that he was happy with our work, and he did not want anyone else. He is our best customer now, when we send a bill, we have payment in two days. I would say to drop them, you don't want to work for someone like that.

8. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Up here you'd never get away with always plowing under 6" unles you had a very small plow route or lots of truck with small routes. :)

My route takes 2 1/2 hrs to do with less then 6" and dry roads

We get storms that range anywhere from 1"-4" per hour (almost every storm this winter so far was on the large end of that range)

Which also make the driving between places slower too.

At the rate of 2" per hour for say 3 hrs you'd have over 6"+ at the first one you did. And then you start all over again.

The storm we got on Christmas dumped 27"+ here and at times was coming down at 4-5" per hour, you couldn't see ANYTHING let alone drive in it.

Maybe where you live you can get away with it but not here.:)

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Dan- Half of the time, we dont get more than 27" in a season. We have been getting a lot of 1-2" storms this year, its still a full price push, but much easier on the trucks. I have had some invoices taht I though for sure would have been questioned with 3" of snow over the course of the day. The OB/Gyn office that I have wants to remain open and spotless, I've pushed it at 2" in a 4" storm this year. They pay much more than other contracts do for this excellent service. Even though we dont get big storms, noone wants to have snow sitting in thier lots. They find it a nuisense (sp) but will pay top dollar to not have to worry about it. payup
  10. neilc

neilc Junior Member

don't worry about it

12"s spills alot sooner than 6, light or heavy you make more passes, and you're backed up by contract agreement
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

fire them

I always let customers like that go always
  12. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Got Snow

Even though you lost a customer I think you were more then fair with your pricing.
  13. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Stick to YOUR contract.:waving: