1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Fisher a New England thing?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JustinD, Dec 18, 2009.

1. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

In my area (SE Mass and RI) most guys use Fisher plows, most everywhere else guys are using different brands, when I look at the other plows they look alot lighter duty than my Fisher????? I have seen some very cool plows offered by other companies but it just looks like they are toys?

Maybe Fisher is just popular here because the factory is close to us? I will say there are plenty of dealers in my area so we have plenty of support/parts available. Not that I have broken anything.

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Fisher is definitely big in new england all the way up to Maine. You really cant go wrong with a fisher plow but there is some other good ones out there too.

3. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

Fishers are quite popular in our area and was my first choice (and I checked several brands) when the time came to make my decision. And the best price was a short drive to NH.

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Have seen lots of Fishers out this way too.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thats because Fisher was started and is still is from Maine.....

They also have plants in WI, & TN. But they are mostly known as Douglas Dynamics out that way more then they are as the "Fisher" plant.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

double post again.....

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup still made in rockland Maine. They are very rugged/simple plows. I think they age very well compared to the others too.

8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Oh, ok thanks guys. Just wondering because I hardly ever see anything but Fisher setups around here.

9. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Now where I live in Cleveland, Ohio all you see is junk Meyer. I think it is also because the factory is close, parts are everywhere and everyone around here knows they are junk but knows how to work on them. I can tell you in my life I have probably seen maybe 5 Fisher plows here. The dealer I got my Western from is also a Fisher dealer but doesnt stock them, you have to order them.

10. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Out here in Colorado the Fisher is finally starting to catch on. I've been here 13 years. When I first moved here I think I saw maybe 2 fisher plows, plus mine, over the course of five years. Most out here are using the forementioned crapy Meyer or less crapy yet still crapy (IMO) Western. I used to work at a shop and did a bunch of installs. Every one was a Western. After installing a bunch and realizing they didn't even compare to the Fisher, I tried to convince the owner he should go Fisher. But no dice.
    Maybe my 13 years of talk and show on the Fishers is catching them on in Colorado. I am now seeing them more frequently. Although it's still probably only one out of every 25 or 30 trucks. But it's a start.
    The city (Boulder) I noticed a few days ago had some new 1 ton Dodge trucks plowing the residential streets with Westerns. Within 5 seconds of watching this guy he hit a manhole cover, the whole damn blade tripped, he dumped all the snow right in the road and kept going. It's pathetic. All this money the city spends for garbage equipment and garbage service.

11. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Isn't Western the same as fisher? Alot of parts are interchangeable, if not identical. I think Fisher is east coast, and western more west coast/central. ??

12. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Here in Greeley Colorado I know I have the only Fisher in town. I get a lot of looks with the EXV and people ask if it is a Meyer (they are both yellow). I know my fisher works better than the Boss, everyone here has a Boss. Put a new shoveler to work this season with me and I Quote "I don't know what it is, but your plow just looks more beefy and it clears snow way better than anyone else's plow I have seen." Smart kid!

13. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

The shovelers always watch with excitement as the big plow comes by. Someday, they too, will be pushing snow with a plow instead of a shovel!

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes and no. The electrical and hydraulics are the same, but the blades, mounts, and trip system are all different.

15. mikemorg

mikemorg Junior Member

New England ends up with more ice than the other regions. The Fisher trip edge is an advantage in icy conditions over the more traditional blade which "dumps". Being made in New England helps as well.

16. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I'm gonna put this Fisher to the test tonight!!!!! Hopefully we get the crippling blizzard the forecast shows!!!!

17. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

Out here Fisher is king.. New Hampshire

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

New England is Fisher country ;)

19. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

Fisher rules

Having lived along the shores of Lake Ontario all my life and now in the Mohawk Valley, I have seen all manner of plows. Fisher plows are the numero uno plows here and probably always will be. The cutting edge trip design is superior under all conditions. It has only been since the advent of V-plows, that Western, Boss, and Hiniker have made any headway. Meyer has never really been in the game here and it is not unusual to see a twenty-five year old Fisher.

20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Glad to hear that everyone agrees!!!!