1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is everyone rasing prices for 2012-13 season ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jul 27, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Slow winter last year for both seasonal and per push. For me it doesn't matter prices are going up. If you start skipping yearly price increases it's very hard to get the contracts to where they should be in the next few years. Besides,there is that fear of the next big storm and customers want to make sure they are set for it.Thumbs Up

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I gave the option at the end of last season to renew early with no increase and all the commercials took it. It was nice knowing then what I would make next season and it allowed me to shop equipment this summer.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Ya raise prices that would be nice. but when Truegreen and the other three big lawn care companies keep low balling everyone and the new group of low ball half wits bidding stuff you don't dare raise them around here. :cry:

4. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub Junior Member

We are raising prices where we can. A buck here and there really helps us out. But we are also doing it very carefully because you know someone new to the industry will come in and low ball everyone. Most of our customers know we do a great job and a few dollar increase is worth it to them for piece of mind.

5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I'm with TPC services I wish I could on a few accounts I have that aren't resis. Most of them did get a 2.00 increase. Most don't care they know its done right every time. I did raise my rate as a sub a few bucks. Just want it to snow and snow a lot this year.

6. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

All of my commercial lots are per hour or per time,so i am leaving prices the same for 1 more year.Just hope to get our adverage 10 to 14 feet of snow!!tymusic:drinkup::drinkup:

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Around here loyalty is nothing anymore it doesn’t ,matter if you have a great relationship with your client they are always looking for the cheaper out. Local Commercial PM’s could care less about your speal about how you will make sure and will be all over their properties they manage. You jack your price $1 and they will go to the next guy that does a crap job and will keep hiring him back because he’s that buck cheaper.

8. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Our insurance premiums went up, looks like steel went up(Plows,Sanders,Trucks,Equipment), Diesel will probably go up, Maintenance costs more(Oil,Fluids,Tires), Everyone who has their hand in my pocket is grabbing more out of it and my taxes will also probably go up...also got to deal with competition and mother nature... But unfortunately, YES most prices will have to go up...

9. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Price increases on seasonals have been a tough sell after last year, I think People are starting to bid stuff around here like last year is close to the new norm.

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I kept my prices the same for up to 8" of snow. From 8" and up there is a price increase. The next level is Blizzard conditions as determined by the National Weather Service. That level got a price increase also. Most operators around this area use 6" and up for the next increase in price. Of course I am referring to the per push method of pricing. I know some of you use seasonal pricing.... and no I did not make any money last year. I went out 1 time. I am fortunate to use the back of my truck for junk removal when the front does not have a snow plow on it. Good luck to everyone for the up coming season.

11. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Grandview, speaking of prices i was wondering about a contract quote i have to give to a customer on tuesday. He is leaving the country for a year and have a straight shot driveway with tons of space to put snow. He's in Saratoga Springs, NY and the average snowfall is 63.4" with 26.8 days of snow. High side is 80 inches. Driveway should take me (a rookie) 20-25 mins tops. What would you charge for a contract?

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you using a plow to clear this driveway. I have parking lots that don't take that long.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Those are the ones you save till the end and do it once after it snowed. Don't know what going rate is out that way.

14. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i have one account thats been the same for the last 3 years. they are getting a bump in price. other than that. im sticking with my current pricing. i have everything priced right to make me money. no need to raise anyone else.

15. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

isnt that the damn truth!

16. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I think I will keep my prices the same this up coming season. I will still be all per push but I am going to introduce a much more involved contract this year to my clients and don't want them to be scared away by higher prices along with the legal stuff. I think one step at a time will keep my clients all on board.

17. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I was just hoping these guys were going to have a class at sima about the new business models they were going to try.

18. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

They need a "like" button on plowsite like on Facebook.

19. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Mine are going up.

20. espyj

espyj Member

I'm not raising rates, but I've evaulated our profit margins per property and we're not going to renew at lesser-performing properties, which gives us more room in our schedule for new higher-profit-margin accounts. I'm also not renewing properties on the outer limits of our route, so that we have tighter routes to waste less fuel and labor.