1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is DOT Number Required for Snow Plowing in Michigan

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RayMich, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayMich

RayMich Junior Member
    from Mid MI

I am new to this business and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to where I can get answers to my questions.

We plan on running ONE, perhaps TWO trucks in a family business for commercial and residential snow plowing in Michigan this season. The trucks are Chevy and GMC 3/4 Ton 4WD with a maximum GVWR of 9,200 lbs. Both trucks will be equipped with BOSS 8.2" Power-V Poly Blade plows. -- We will NOT be pulling any trailers.

• Are we required to obtain DOT Numbers for these trucks?
    • Does the driver(s) need a Commercial Driver's License (Chauffeur License) for plowing, as long as we don't pull any trailers and stay below 10,000 GVWR?
    • If we do need DOT numbers, where do we apply to get them.
    Thank you for your help.

- Ray -

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

You dont need any.

4. RayMich

RayMich Junior Member
    from Mid MI

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help.

I have a couple more questions.
    • Is there any downside to getting a US-DOT number, just in case I decide to pull a trailer later? Are there any reporting or tax requirements from having a US-DOT number?
    • If we decide to pull a trailer, then obviously the Combined GVWR will exceed 10,000 lbs and we will need a US-DOT Number. Let's say the trailer would be for hauling snowblowers, extra salt, etc. Does the driver then need a Chauffeur's license or CDL of any kind?
    Thanks again. :salute:

5. WIPensFan

No tax requirements, that I know of.

You won't need a CDL with those trucks, unless you decide to tow a trailer that is heavy enough to get you to a combined weight of 26,001 lbs. I highly doubt you will.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

No, no and no.

Michigan law recently changed so DOT requirements don't start until 26,001.

I do believe you will need the Chauffer's license regardless.

7. RayMich

RayMich Junior Member
    from Mid MI

So, if I understand this correctly, no Chauffeur License or CDL is required as long as we stay UNDER 10,000 lbs GVWR. But if the combined GVWR of both truck and trailer together exceed 10,000 lbs, then a Chauffeur's License would be required. -- A CDL is not required unless the trailer GVWR exceeds 10,000 lbs or the Combined GVWR of truck and trailer exceed 26,000 lbs.

Since there is no charge for obtain a US-DOT Number and no tax or reporting requirements, would there be any disadvantage to getting a US-DOT number anyway if there is a possibility of having to tow a trailer in the future?

Thanks. :)

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

youll get stopped and weighed by state cops if you get a dot

9. WIPensFan

I don't think you need a chauffeur license. It says if your principal job is to operate a motor vehicle over 10,000 lbs. I think you guys are misinterpreting that, I could be wrong though.

10. BigBoyPlowin

If you put DOT numbers on your truck you are subject to be checked as if all of those regulations apply to you...

11. BigBoyPlowin

Also as long as you dont drive a Bus or a 4500 For a Living you DO NOT NEED a chauffeur license

12. birddseedd

he said it better than i did.

13. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I believe you are correct with the chauffeur license, I have always had one it's just a simple test and $40 if I recall.

No disadvantage to the USDOT number. Have the number put on a magnet so you don't have to worry about stopping at weight stations when you're not towing.

14. M & D LAWN

M & D LAWN Senior Member

A chauffeurs license is required for any profession that you use your vehicle for hire.

15. birddseedd

the cop that impounded my trailer and equipment didnt say that.

16. RayMich

RayMich Junior Member
    from Mid MI

Good point. I don't want to have to go through that hassle if I don't have to.

My fear of putting the company name and DOT on a magnetic sign is that some A'hole might decide to steal it.

Is it legal to put that information taped to the inside of the non-movable rear windows, as long as the lettering meets the legal size requirements?

I guess I better call the Secretary of State office and find out for sure about the requirements for a Chauffeur's license. I definitely do not want any legal hassles.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help.

WOW! - Sorry to hear that!

Why did he impound your trailer and equipment?

17. birddseedd

rented a mower with a trailer. company refused to put a plate on it. small town cop impounded it. only got half my route done, didnt pay for the rental.

18. RayMich

RayMich Junior Member
    from Mid MI

Man, that really SUCK ! ! !

19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Why get a magnetic sign made? Getting letters applied to the vehicle is not expensive...they print them out of a machine that laser-cuts some self-stick vinyl and then stick it to your truck.

I wouldn't tape it to the inside of the window, looks amateurish and asks for trouble even if it manages to meet legal requirements.

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Here you go:

Applying for a Standard Chauffeur License
    Applying for an Enhanced Chauffeur License

Chauffeur License
    Unless exempt, a chauffeur license is required if you:
    Are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more.
    Operate a motor vehicle as a carrier of passengers or as a common or contract carrier of property.
    Operate a bus or a school bus.
    Operate a taxi or limousine.

Regarding having DOT #'s on your truck whether you need them or not will/should not make you a DOT magnet.DOT cops usually can just look at a truck from a distance and can determine if it meets their scrutiny.Then,if it does,you had better be DOT compliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.