1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is boss a good plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PremierLand, Sep 7, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

well at my dealer they gave me a quote of $400 for a boss super duty 7" 6' plow, and $4800 for a 7" 6' v plow.... is this a good/reasonable price for a boss plow?

mind you, i dont know much about plows this is my first year.

i was looking at getting a snow sport for the front of my dakota for small cleanup stuff, he said $1200 for the snow sport...

back to the boss....

the boss will be going on a 94 f150, 250 shocks and helpers, 4x4 and 4in lift... will the straight be better or the v? also, i was planing on getting the super duty boss because it seems like its betterbecause it has extra braces and an extra spring and it has an eaiser hitch!

is there better plows out there for this price? should i keep looking?

also, someone told me that on some plows the hydraulic fluid will freeze up and its a beatch to unfreeze. what plows/brand does this happen on? can someone please shed some light on my newbie head?!

oh ya, is there any kind of plow that has the controls/hydrauilc fluid stored under the hood to help it stay warm from the engine temp?

one more thing. should i get a tranny cooler or anything of some sort?

dang, those are alot of questions, i hope you fine fellas can help me out here!!!

thank you!

2. danmc

danmc Member

Tranny coolers are a definite must. don't plow in overdrive - it'll beat up on your transmission. If you can't turn your overdrive off then plow in 3 if you have it, if not then 2. Plow in 4 low if you can, this also saves wear and tear. I've heard many great things about Boss plows, the only drawback to the V is the center hoof, I've heard complaints about it wearing out too fast or falling off. I think the prices for most plows are comparable....
    As for hydraulics freezing, if you stick with a good quality fluid, you shouldn't have too many problems. There are all sorts of tricks/additives you can use, just do a search on hydraulic fluids....
    The underhood hydraulics you mentioned are I believe the "old" way of doing it - there were as many disadvantages to that type of system as there were advantages....
    Good luck!

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This could be it.

May be, Just may be, I'm in the wrong end of things.
    Let me explain. I think I can speak for most dealers in saying that our profit margin is so thin that every day we question why we sell plows? So when your trying to get your dealer down another 100.00 dollars and he won't budge it is because of his slim profit margins. I know you are not buying this so may be I should just sell advice.

From reading the posts, I think I can make more money giving Un- biased advice, then I can selling plows. Can you figure that ? OoooPs Hope the Home team did not hear that.

4. PremierLand

from detroit

Thanks Dan, on thursday im getting a rear main (old one went), diffs fluid changed, tranny fluid change, new windsheild. so i think ill add the tranny cooler to the list. are there any other things that i should get done? like engine coolant or such?

also, should i run another battery for the plow and a bigger alternator, or should i just beef the alternator up?

um sir. i think you read my post wrong, i was not complaining about the price, just asking a few simple questions because i am new, and i dont know how much these plows go for so iwant to make sure this is reasonable and not wayyyy to much, and also want to know if there any better plows for around the 4k margin.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  5. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Hey,
    Boss plows are seems to be popular in my area, and i'm getting one put one this week or so, i did went to all dealers and check all out, but boss seems to be the one i like, i got 8' poly straight blade w/handheld control for just under $4k seems to be good deal for me and thats install price, these plows are have the newest technology and they look pretty good, also there smart hitch2, and lights are pretty nice, go check others out than compare, and see what available in your area, good luck

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO here. Does boss make good plows? Yes IMO, thier hydros are good and they are quick, thier controller for the V blades also kicks but. Would i buy a staight boss? maybe if I ever bought a straight blade again witch is doubtfull. Would I buy a boss v ever? If they keep thier current design absolutly NOT I bought a fisher V just beacuse i have first hand experinece with a boss v and its sucky ass tripping(or lack there of) Thats the main reason people complain about the boss tearing off center hoof. Duno what boss was thinking with a full trip v blade??? Flame away boss v lovers :p

Duno what is acceptable for your truck since you have a 1/2 ton with a 4" lift and 3/4 springs.......a combo I have never had experinece with. Duno what weight plow would be too much?

A complete tune up and new fluids depending is always a deccent idea. I also run syn in my diff and transfercase and front end. What amp alt do you have?

7. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks guys

thanks. i was thinking in just getting a straight plow, i dont think i'd need a V, however im glad you told me, i will look into fisher if i ever get a v plow.

im not sure what amp alt. i have, i just bought the truck last week and its already broke (lol, damn rear main went). but im probably going to be putting in another batt and beefing upthe alt anyway, because im getting a remote start on it next week when i take it for the new windsheild and the previous fella said he took his remote start out cause it killed the batt.? (seems like a weird reason to kill a batt).

also, when i put new diff fluid in it, ill make sure to put syn. in it. i was going to put amsoil in her, should i also get amsoil syn tranny fluid?

one more question, how much do tranny coolers run?

sorry for all the questions, but im BRAND SPANKIN new to plowing and im looking forward to plowing, and i want to make sure i have my truck in tip top condition so hopefully (nock on wood) it wont crap out on me at 2am when im plowing, and im also hoping to know what good plows are, whats so special about some over another.

thanks again guys, i really have learned alot these past few weeks from you fellas!

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Putting a Boss on a 1/2 ton is over kill a bit. The Boss should outlast that truck. Trans cooler = yes, plow in low range = yes, trans temp gage = yes, (keep below 250 degrees), V blade may be a bit heavy for your truck. Fisher blade is also a good choice maybe even a bit better choice would be the Blizzard. Mostly depends on what kind of service you have in your area. Meyers, I have run them for 22 years and will never buy another one because I can't get the dealer or factory to stand behind there warranty. as for the Boss never needed warranty work as it never brakes.

9. ratlover

from IL

Trany coolers are cheap. setrab makes good stuff.

I am in the use regular non synthetic atf and change it often camp.

But in the diffs, amsoil will be fine. I run mobil 1 but thats just me. I also run mobil 1 synthetic atf and have had good luck with it. yes i just said i believe its best to run a regular dino fluid and change it often but my case is special, most plowers/daily drivers would benifit from regular fluid with a change pre and post season. Before I put the SCIII kit into my trans:cool: I ran regular fluid.

A temp gauge on the trans wouldnt be a bad idea either.

If you have a clutch type limited slip your fluid requirments may be different. FYI I dont know much about 1/2 ton ford options though and what they take.

The biggest thing about picking a plow IMO is making sure there is good dealer support. You need a dealer that will be able to get you the part or fix your plow NOW! if there is a problem. Shop first for the dealer you are most comfortable with and hope they sell good stuff. Then look at what plows they have. IMO western is good and fisher is good boss makes a good straight blade and blizzard makes a good blade from what I have heard striaght or thier scooping one(too heavy for your truck) Just hope the dealer isnt selling meyers, youll really need a good dealer then lol

10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Boss Plows?

I've used a 9'2" Boss Poly V for the last 4-5 years on an 87 Chevy 3/4 ton. I had to put 3 leaf springs under the front end to support the 968 lb blade and the 454 big block. I am also thinking about timbrens.
    I've had excellent luck with the Boss. From what I've seen, they seem to be one of the better built plows out there. The guys are right about Boss V's ability to trip. I have triped mine before, but not until the front tires on the pickup are almost off the ground (pull my teeth out of the steering wheel). In 4-5 seasons I have only lost one center hoof. That was on a parking lot with some huge seams. I attribute part of that to the operator I had in the pickup at the time. As far as external hydraulics, I have never had them freeze. I love the way that the plow hooks and unhooks from the pickup. I run 2 batteries and a heavy duty alternator. I don't think that I would get a v blade in your situation. I would start out with a strait blade and see how you do. I guess with the luck that I've had with my Boss I would definatley buy a nother. On a nother note, I have a dealer across the mountains in Kalispel that I bought the plow from about 120 miles away. The other dealer is in Great Falls. I was just in there today to see if they had any Boss hydraulic fluid and they said that they don't. I was pretty disipointed. I thought about asking this guy what season it was. I'm calling my Kalispell dealer and asking him to ship 3 quarts to me. I can't think of any other plow dealer that would be any closer for me anyway. Thank you rural bumflip Montana.

11. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks guys. im learning a whole lot from ya.

what does "trip the blade on a v-plow mean" i know what a v-plow is, but what does "Trip" mean when your refering to a v-plow?

thanks.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Tripping a v-plow means the same as tripping a straight blade.... flopping over when it hits a solid object.

I have the 9'-2" Boss V-Plow... yes the tripping is a little violent but effective enough. I don't have any other to compare to though.

As for the center hoof, my blade is a '97 and has had it replaced once. It's cast iron--have to hit it pretty hard to break it! I've bent the cheapy aftermarket steel outboard ones a few times over the years, but not the center one. Not sure what you guys are complaining about.

I have also never had the hydraulics freeze.

My experience has been that it is a very tough, high quality unit. If I had to replace it, I'd buy one again, no questions asked.

13. ratlover

from IL

Stopping a f550 with a full 160 gallon transfer tank and a utility box full of tools dead in its tracks is not effective enough IMO. The rest of the blade is fine but the tripping sucks depending on how the blade is angled.

Trip edge and thus the tripping action on the fisher and the western is very nice and smoth, I have whacked some things hard and had the plow go airborn but I woulda been picking my teeth outa the steering wheel and wiping coffee outa my vents if it was a boss. Even with the plow going airborn the shock on the truck wasnt very violent.

If you use the recomended hydro fluid or synthetic ATF(what I use) and flush it at the begining of the season and the end of the season you shouldnt ever have a problem with freeze ups regardless if you go boss or fisher or whomevere. also JMO

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Let it be noted that this isn't intended as a flame :yow!: but I have seen the boss plow hit with this same complaint ever since I joined here last winter, and I dunno what all the fuss is about.

My truck was just over the scales yesterday... It's an '82 GMC K3500 dually 4x4 with a dump box, it weighs approximately 7100 lbs empty. Add the plow (1000-1200 lbs) and the two tonnes of gravel I carry for ballast (4000 lbs)... you can see that I run around at about 12000 lbs plus. I wouldn't think your F550 would be much different. I have never been plowing and just 'stopped in my tracks' as you describe, but maybe thats because I am too careful for that to happen. I have tripped it enough times on frozen crap in gravel lots (when the frost isn't in the ground yet so I sink) but that usually resets right away once you are past it (unless its digging like a bulldozer in the soft muck :p)

I would say the closest I ever got to what you describe was catching a broken off (trying to finish the night) cutting edge in a sewer grate.... btw thats three cutting edges broken in seven years, I don't think thats so bad. It felt like the truck was gonna do a nose dive, but then as soon as it made contact I was already on the brakes. I had to back up to unhook the broken edge from the grating :D but no new damage.

I would say the tripping IMO isn't so bad, its the reset thats violent! I wanna add the shock absorber kit (and if they don't make it anymore I'll build one) and that should take care of that by removing the 'snap' from the springs, make it a slower reset.

Maybe the other brands have a better trip--I really have no way to compare. But I doubt they will all last the way my Boss has, seven years at 12 hours per night without problems?

I should also mention that my hydraulic fluid has never been changed other than when a hose split two winters ago. Either it doesn't get cold enough here (which I don't buy it gets pretty vicious) or its just good quality stuff! I know it should be changed but everything always seems to keep me working at least 12 hours per day seven days per week already, some things just don't get done. :D

15. ratlover

from IL

No flames :) Actaully I think I'm about the only one that is very vocal about not liking the full trip on a boss. My expereince is mostly medium and larger comercial and i can hit higher speeds. I dont go flying through lots that are full of obstacles or that I dont know or cars or ect. but if its a lot I know and its wide open I tend to truck along pretty good. Problem is how many times have we all been in an open lot that is nice and smoth and we know every expansion joint or speed bump like tha back of our hand and we are trucking along at 4am with a gallon of coffee thats the only thing from keeping us an offical zombie and "CRAP!" we are all over the brakes a second before we wax that manhole we almost for got about or actually rock it. Sometimes I think its Gods way of waking us up a bit or saying "Take a NAP!" The blade itself has held up well through all this other than liking to eat the center hoofs and the mount and dismount being a bit more of a PITA than when new since its a bit tweaked but its a 2000 and has been worked HARD. Maybe some of the guys dont have the problems since they go slower but using both although I like the bosses speed it just causes me to say way too many explitives. boss and 550 are still around but last year I ran my 2500hd/fisher and will do again this year.

Maybe most of my complaint comes down to plowing style but my dad has the same complaints, although we both seem to plow like its 80* and we gota push the flakes before they fall and melt. Had an hourly employee of his ask me if I was at a race once, yup, the race to make payup ahole

The only time I have came to a quick hault was the first time I hit a lot I didnt relize the end had a gravel part and it wasnt frozen or close to it. Stoped me fairly quickly bulldozer style ;) That thing dug like an SOB

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would not go with a better price rate so do speak does your dealer stock westerns or meyers

17. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcat Service

03 F-350 SRW 6.0 ex. cab Boss 8.2 V-poly Boss salt spreader
    I plow 31 commercial accounts i can stay in the plowing business now i bought a boss 1 year ago. I had meyers and had to carry 500.00 worth of spare parts along with a complete pump in case i could not repair in 20 minutes. The center shoe does wear but now they replaced it with a steel piece attached to the cutting edge. I havent seen it yet but my dealer told me about it. I also purchased the new lights and they work great, seems to seperate the flakes coming down.

Mike

18. PremierLand

from detroit

Mike33...

This thread is from 2004. Alot has changed since then.

Thanks though!

19. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

'I'm pretty sure that if the dealer is trying to sell you a 7'6" Boss Vblade, we have a problem! To my understanding, Boss doesnt make a 7'6 V blade. Guys, is this right?

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

It doesn't matter! This thread is from ages ago.

But, yes BOSS does make a 7'6" V-Plow, and while it is heavy, it is listed for 1/2 ton use.