1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone using dash cams?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GSS LLC, Jan 14, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

im not interested in go pros. they are not what i want.

i want a dash cam. is anyone using one and can reccomend me something?

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Subscribed, because I have been considering the same... even if just for driving instead of plowing... but they have gotten quite cheap on ebay.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I bought some POS from Amazon that clamped to the rear view mirror. It was made in china, cost about $125, and I never actually installed it. When I put the memory card in the slot, it wouldn't recognize it. I boxed it back up and returned it to Slammazon...

Pay attention to the reviews on Amazon. Most of the time, they're right.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have some from BusWreck. I know its a weird name and when you google it all kinds of stuff comes up but its a camera that records time/date, speed and even records voice. If I remember right they were around 350.00. All you need is a SD card. I haven't used them in a while, in fact can't even find them. hey are great for proving you were there with the time/date stamping. The video is great and the fact it tracks speed too is a plus when you have guys in your trucks that you don't completely trust. Nothing gets by with these things.

6. derekbroerse

These sound good, but I tried to google 'BusWreck dash camera' and all it finds are video clips of bus accidents caught on cameras. Anything better to sort them out by?

7. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

subscribed.........

8. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I have heard good things about the Roadhawk dash cam/gps, looks like it records gps and time stamp in the video file. 8gb/hour though, so you would need a 64gb card to even come close to recording a whole shift.

I too am considering one or more, hopefully someone that uses them will chime in.

9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

The Roadhawk (UK-based company) looks kinda cool, but read the review here and the ones on Amazon.
    I don't know if the DC-1 (2012 review linked above) and the HD (1080P video) are the same model.

Roadhawk is definitely not your average Chinese-made, $20.99-and-up-on-eBay unit.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need one? Just in case someone claims you hit their car?

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

All I can add is they are out of North Carolina. I tried looking for them again after I posted but still cant find them anywhere :angry:

12. grandview

13. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I use Sharper Image dash cams. Mine were $99 and just take an SD card. They start recording when you apply power and stop when the power goes off so if you wire them to the ignition, you can just install them and leave them! They have saved me multiple times. A guy claimed I hit his car at the gas station when I wasn't even in the same row as him and I just pointed out the camera and he gave up his story. I had some commercial accounts that always had crackheads stumbling around trying to get hit for some easy money. One tried to tell the owner several days after the storm that the plow guy hit him and I just saved the video so I have it just in case he tries to make a false claim later. For $99 its the cheapest insurance you can get, a dash cam could save your business!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  14. derekbroerse

Where I live, you take your life in your hands whenever you get behind the wheel.... not just in the plow truck either.

15. grandview

And then you guys come over here and race to the mall and we take our lives in our hands!

16. derekbroerse

Black Friday specials? At least our people don't trample each other to death and tear doors off stores to get in and save $50 on a tv.... lol

17. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

That, and the crackhead opportunists Eggie mentioned. A cam with GPS and a date/time stamp can also document when you were at a particular customer's location.
    Customer: "How can you bill me? It doesn't look like you plowed."
    You: "We did, twice. Look at the video."
    C: "That could have been someplace else, or some other day!"
    Y: "Look at the dates and times, and the GPS coordinates. That's your lot."
    C: "Ummmm . . . "

I'd keep a couple of SDHC cards handy for each cam, so you could swap them around and download the full one onto a hard drive to save the data for awhile.

18. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Where in NF do you live? Never heard such a crazy thing

19. derekbroerse

More out in Niagara-on-the-Lake. High percentages of seniors and tourists.... oh and teenagers that watched too many Paul Walker movies... :angry:

Then you can throw in that we have the highest percentage level of unemployment in Ontario...

Am I the only one that gets nervous when some idiot is tailgating the hell out of my expensive salt spreader? :nono: If I know it's not a cop I have been known to give a little blip on the spinner, usually gets the message across...

20. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I have them in all my trucks