1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else worried about the future of snow...considering global warming?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawntec, Apr 11, 2016.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I have been doing snow and lawns for 16 years, and I have seen heavy record breaking years and light easy ones. This year in my area...we had 20cm. 3 years ago we have 210cm.

As much as I want to believe that this is just an off year...I know that that for 15 straight months we have broken world average temperature records. Combine the two elements and it is hard not to get a little anxious about this trend.

BTW: I live 2 hours north of the border of North Dakota.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you believe in something other than Creationism, you and I are living in an area that was under miles and miles of ice several thousand years ago. The glaciers retreated without man.

Same goes for dinosaurs. Once upon a time it was warm enough for them to live, then it cooled.

AGW is bunk. It's just another way for politicians and enviro-nazis to control the way we live and tax the crap out of us. The "scientists" that push AGW on us depend on their funding for AGW to be true. Otherwise they have no reason to exist.

Weather is weather, climate is climate. Not worried about it at all. Nothing I can do about it anyways.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I just think everything is more extreme on both ends of spectrum.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's only because of the 48 hours of news in 24 hours.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My $0.02 ($0.03 Canadian)....

How long have they been keeping weather records? Maybe 150-170 years out of how many millions of years? Do they really no, it's kind of like the 500 year flood that happens every 50 years, or wait, it that global warming too.

I don't know if they/I have enough info to give opinion.

I do believe we need to do our parts to keep the world green regardless.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The earth wobbles as it orbits the sun this effects the climate on earth.

If it wobbled as predicted we would be going into a ice age,
    But it didn't wobble as predicted so now they are punting.
  8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've been plowing for 20 years now, and I've seen warmer and drier years than this one a few times before. In the late 90's and early 2000's we had 6-7 dismal snow years, wiht maybe one or two at or above "average". I don't see anything new or differnet in the last few years.

Just keep in mind, when "oldtimers" reminice about "how tall the snow banks used to be when they were kids", etc... they were only 3 feet tall. Everything seems bigger when you're a kid. Case in point, my daughter goes ot kindergarten in the same school I did. When I visit now, it looks like Rick Morranis shrunk the entire school down.........
  9. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

The climate is definitely changing up here in northern NY. consistently warmer winters, and they seem to be starting later too, you can honestly plan on doing roofing through November lately. We have ticks like crazy now that weren't here 20 years ago, and the loons (cold weather birds) have been migrating north in significant numbers. I'm not an AGW nut. Just reporting my observations in my small neck of the woods.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Back in the " old times" The glaciers were over a mile thick and covering a good part of the earth

Now nutt'en.
    Things sure have warmed up.
  11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto To The Above Response !!!
  12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

This topic was just brought up recently in another thread. The claims of global warming alarmists are constantly debunked by scientists who see this "threat to civilization" for what it is - a money grab by liberal politicians who learned a long time ago that you can make a fortune by scaring people.

In a few hundred years people will reflect on the theory of global warming and explain it as one of the greatest hoaxes in the history of mankind.
  13. snoboss

snoboss Member

Been plowin for 35 years I have seen dust flyin on logging roads in the middle of January for lack of snow in the early 80s. Had winters that I would look in the mirror to see if I even would leave a track all winter long. When we had heavy snow years you could count on people jumpin in the snow business the next winter. And that is when you did not want to buy new equipment as it was always followed by a light snow year and the folks who jumped in were gone. While talk of global warming makes politicians feel important I like to think someone else is still in charge. If you been following the news we all have bigger fish to fry.imo
  14. plowboss

plowboss Member

Global warming my @&&

Been plowing and paying attention to the weather for 35 years..The only thing you can count on is that next year's weather will be a little different than this year's. Some winters will be huge snow producers, others not so much. You can't control or predict it so take what Mother Nature gives.
  15. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

The earth is just repeating itself, We had record breaking temperatures and unusual snow amounts before. High level and low level amounts. Next snow season will be different.

I'll plead the fifth on the global warning thing :dizzy: The snow is not gone and never will be. Not the first time I sat on my butt during the winter season. How about summer rainfalls where you can't get nothing done. We will on be fine.
  16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Winter is still hanging oot ootwest....

Winter Storm Watch

Issued: 1:06 PM MDT Apr. 14, 2016 – National Weather Service

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Friday night through
    late Saturday night...

The National Weather Service in Denver has issued a Winter Storm
    Watch... which will be in effect from late Friday night through
    late Saturday night.

* Timing... evening thunderstorms Friday night are expected to
    transition to widespread rain later in the evening. Rain will
    change over to snow by midnight or during the early morning
    hours Saturday. Snow is then expected to continue through the
    day Saturday and Saturday night. Lighter snow is expected on

* Snow accumulations... accumulations of 8 to 14 inches will be
    possible by Sunday morning. The high density snow will tend to
    settle as it accumulates... so that snow depths could remain less
    than 8 inches.

* Wind/visibility... north to northeast winds 15 to 25
    mph... especially east of I-25.

Above 7000' they're calling for up to 4'
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Run, run to the flat lands
  18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

And there are no earth quakes or hurricanes too.
  19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Nope. Not remotely worried
  20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hell no, that's east......lol