1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone else using a Toyota to Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

:D Does anyone else use a toyota Pickup truck with a Meyers 6 1/2 Plow Setup, four cylinder engine truck to Plow residential driveways?
  2. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

02 Tundra, 8 cylinder, 7' poly meyer

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I own a 1989 Toyota pickup 4 cylinders with 6.5' Fisher plow. Pretty solid half ton truck. It is nice to be able to manuever around tight driveways easily. I know that a few other Plowsite members have plow on their Toyota too.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Plow looks to be holding up well. Let me know when you want to sell. :)

I run and 86 4x4 with a 6.5' or 7.5' and a 6ft electric V-box Highly modified chassis and engine. Also an 87 4Runner 4x4 has a plow but seldomg gets used.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

A buddt of mine has an older (87 I think) that he uses. Its great for tight spots, it can get in and out of some tight spaces with ease. Plows fine and can push snow better than I expected.
  6. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I'm looking to replace my 89 cherokee with a toyota truck... I used to drive an old clunker toyota and it died on me... I loved that truck. Anyway, I like their manueverability. I'm just a little afraid of pushing a snowplow with their 4 cylinder engine...
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't let that size fool you. The Toyotas can do handle snowplowing well without a problem. They are very easy to manuever in tight driveways.
  8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Just bought a 1993 toyota T-100 6 cyl. manual 8ft bed. What size plow should I put on it?
  9. myo

myo Senior Member

I would say a 7 or 7.5 footer for that.

POWERBAND Member

2 Meter Meyers and small trucks

I bought a trashed '85 Isuzu Trooper with a 2 Meter (@6.5') Meyers that was dealer installed. The little 1.9 liter didn't have much power but in low it could climb rocks. With the E-47 unit I could move the truck sideways with the power angle when the plow was against a pile.
    The '85 finally dissolved in the salt solution of N.Y. roads so I adapted the plowframe to our '88 Trooper which had @100K miles. I cranked up the torsion bars a little and used tall tires for extra clearance but it is very capable with the light Meyers even driving at road speed. I broke the plows' A frame, and the pivot bolt is the weakest part but the Trooper frames held up even when rusted through.
    My young son now uses the '88 Trooper with @160K miles and I'm going to adapt the plow frame to the '95 Trooper my wife has been driving now that it just turned 100K and now becomes my "new" truck.:cool:
  11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Any one know who makes a mount kit for the '93 Toyota T-100? I havent been able to find one on the western site.

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

mine was a 86 with a 4 banger raised with big meatie tires and a meyers 6.6.worked awsome.a year before i sold it i installed a 6 cycl from a newer pickup but man that truck was fun.that was my first ride back in high school.it came all setup the only thing i needed was snow.the ladies liked the tailgate alot LOL LOL :D
    same truck that marty had in back to the future just stick a plow on it and thats my old ride.....LOL
  13. ToyotaPower

They are great little trucks...
  14. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Sorta, but it's a Fisher 6.5 - What else do you want to know?
  15. ToyotaPower

T4Dodge, What year is it ? Why did you choose a fisher or a Meyers?

Do you have any trouble pushing snow with it? How long have you had it and been snow plowing with it?

Do you do residential or commerical account with it? Just wondering?

16. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

What year is it ?
    The truck is a 86k mile 1999 with a 2.7 DOHC 150HP 4 banger/auto, the plow is from the mid 80's...
    Here's the install...
    Here's some pix from the last major snow we had...

Why did you choose a fisher or a Meyers?
    If it was good enough for my Grand-Dad, it must be good enough for me!! seriously though, I chose the first one I found that was in my budget... But, I'm extremely happy with that Fisher, it's a tough rig built the old-fashion way...

Do you have any trouble pushing snow with it?
    No, not really...

How long have you had it and been snow plowing with it?
    2 years, and this year it got the most useage...

Do you do residential or commerical account with it?
    Residential, as in family and friends and their family, ie only 2 of them pay money...

Commercial: Since my parent's biz will invest in a tailgate sander, I guess they'll be my one and only commercial account... Their current plow-man will not sand for them...
  17. ToyotaPower

T4dodge, How do you like the automatic transmission? Everyone tells me to get a stick vs auto.

Reasoning they say it cheaper to replace a clutch then to replace a transmission.

My guys usually blow a clutch about every other year when we have a active winter.

At the beginning of this past season, I told my brother that out turbo 4 cyclinder is due for a clutch job. The clutch when on it during that big blizzard of snow 22" we had this winter.

18. ToyotaPower

T4dodge, By the way I really enjoy your picture of your Toyota...Toyota are great plow trucks...:waving:
  19. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

I only got the Auto figuring the Wife would take the Taco to work in the winter, but that never happened... As far as plowing with it, I have nothing to compare it to... Everyone I know has Autos on there plow trucks... This summer I will be tossing in a tranny cooler, and an electric fan for highway driving - with the blade up so goes my running temp at anything over 60MPH and 40F...
  20. bass7

bass7 Junior Member

Toyota Trunda 2002

Want to install a plow on my 2002 Trunda. Should I? What is the best plow? Is weight a problem? Need to know everything. I would be plowing a large church parking lot and a couple of drive ways. HELP
    My e-mail is: garandcon@comcast.net