1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is anyone else driving a z71 short bed 04

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, Jan 9, 2005.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

hi
    i have a couple things that bug me
    it's my daughters truck 04 z71
    its a 5.3 and is quite peppy....:)
    anyway the gas peddle, just to touchy it's like
    the truck surges . (hard to explain)
    the other thing is the brakes ,spongy
    anyone else experiance anything like this ?
    is it a trait of the short bed and suspention?
    then again could be me, never owned a short bed

:drinkup: :drinkup:

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

The gas pedle in these trucks are a little touchy. I think it has to do with the throttle by wire set up. And the brakes in the trucks flat out suck. I plan on wearing this out then upgrading to a larger disc set up. There is a lot of fade in the petal.

Normal stuff, nothing to lose sleep over.

They are awesome trucks though!! :nod:

3. GPB

GPB Member

In my 02 Chevy the throttle would sort of "stick" in the closed position. It would take a little added pressure to initially get the pedal to move, causing the truck to surge ahead when it finially broke free. The butterfly in the throttle body was covered with some black tar-like stuff that would cause it stick whenever it returned to the closed position. Cleaned it up and its worked great since.

If this sounds like your problem, its an easy fix. 15 minutes tops.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The throttle by wire system basically has no "feel" whatsoever. We have noticed this a lot in the fire trucks that use a similar system. If the driver doesn't have his/her heel firmly on the floor their foot will bounce on the pedal - then hang on! :bluebounc :bluebounc :bluebounc

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

as far as the brakes i personally dont think they suck. i have 2000 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 and i didnt have to replace the brakes until 100,000 miles. now i have all ceramics brake pads on the truck. by the way i have pulled a trailer full of lawn mowers since the day i bought it. the problem i am having is the damn transmission. code p1870 anyone else experiencing this?

6. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

2004 GMC Sierra Z-71

I own a 04 and I have to agree with the brakes being spongy. My dad has a 2000 model Sierra 2wd, and his brakes feel very good, so it is a 4x4 characteristic. A friend of mine had a 2000 Sierra Z-71 and also thought the brakes felt funny, so he took it in to get looked at and they gave it back to him without even checking into it further and said that is the way they are. He now owns a 2500 HD and the brakes feel excellent.

So its just a 1500 problem--you can always upgrade :)

Eric

7. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

2004 Z71 CrewCab, brakes feel spongy to me also, only 3000kms yet though

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Hello there fellow Bluenoser.

I have a 91 and love it. Good tough work truck. Don't want to part with it. Come see the Blizzard plow line sometime. Where you located?

9. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

Hey Dave,
    Located in Pictou, about a 1 1/2 hr drive. I will check out blizzard before I buy a plow for the truck. I'm in Halifax on the 31st, if I have time I will come out to have a look.
    Darren