1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is any of this really true?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yamahatim, Nov 6, 2010.

1. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've heard the GMT900 trucks are a little flimsy. Like don't stand on the bed rail.....

3. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

The steel is thinner . No Doubt !

4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

My hood and roof metals are paper thin.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

That is truely sad, and they all wonder why they were all circling the big toilet bowl a couple years ago

6. CharlesW

CharlesW Junior Member

I didn't read the aricles linked to, but one thing to keep in mind is that the big push for economy has resulted in many weight saving measures.
    Windshields, door glass, body panels are one place that lighter and thinner materials are used in newer vehicles.
    As is often the case, an improvement(?) carries with it some side effects.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

my 2010 Ford CVPI got hit by an acorn the other day while driving, put a big dent in the middle of the hood. The other day I was in the bed of my 82 crewcab, looking at the roof, and I noticed shoeprints. No dents or anything, but somebody had definitely walked on it. I would not dare walk on a new truck.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can tell the metal is thinner on our 2 07's but after you drive them it's hard to go back to our 01 snd 02. IMO the newer trucks just keep getting better and better. We linex our boxes over the rail when brand new so I'd assume that would help keep the box from denting.

9. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I notice my hood flexes a little in the centre while driving..didn't do that on my 03.

I think all the new trucks are like that gm/ford/dodge....steel costs have gone up.

Its too bad.

10. Detroitdan

I'd hate to back a brand new truck underneath the loader bucket where I get my sand/salt mix. Although it looks pretty cool when they drop stuff in the bed on those new truck commercials.

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

2 guys that I know that plow with single cab long bed one 08 and one 09 Chevy's have dent's in the cab corner's from the loaded bed smacking the cab when they hit a pile hard. That pretty much made up my mind.

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

yea the new trucks arent the best, its more or less people buying them to say they have them. my boss no joke tapped a tree a most and it cost ins 8g'sin damage. he needed a new bed, bumper brackets mounting hardwear and some other small ****!

13. Detroitdan

I had a tree fall across the bed of my 97 last winter. It collapsed the drivers side rear bedrail, folding the rear bedside down, mostly because a bed crossbrace underneath the floor was rotted and allowed it to "give". The top of the bedrail was protected by stainless decorative bedrail caps, and at the rear some thick steel brackets that go to my tailgate sander, so the tops of the bedrails didn't even get a ding. The pass side bedrail was fine, and the tailgate wasn't even hurt.Ins co couldnt find a replacement bed anywhere in their database so they had to price building a whole new bed, it was enough t otoal the truck value-wise. So I bought it back for a grand, swapped on the used bed I had already bought for $300 to replace my rusty one, been driving it ever since. I would love to see what a big huge pine would do falling crossways across the bed of one of these new so-called trucks.

14. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

The 07.5+ trucks are definitely thinner than the 07 down trucks, and the paint is much much thinner too. I have a few buddies who have had them back to the dealer for paint defects, I have seen them with no paint under the rocker. Sucks when you pay 50k+ for a truck and it ends up being cheesy!!!