1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is an electric start a must

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chefwong, Dec 16, 2004.

1. chefwong

chefwong Junior Member

I'm just haunted from years back when my pops had this snowblower that I would try with 25+ pulls to get it started and after what seemed like decades, would it start.

I'm currently getting most likely a Honda HS-520 but my opt for the Toro 3650. Everyone swears these things start on the 1st or 2nd pull. I'm sure alot of it all boils down to yearly seasonal maintaince also.....but if you were in the market for a new snowblower, do you guys make sure whatever model you are getting - you are getting it with the electric start option ?
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a 2 stroke (the 3650 is) it has a primer, and should start on the first or second pull.

You start getting into the 10-13hp range big boys, and it's a nice option for that first start of the year.

Depends on where your going to use it. If it's around the house, it can be usefull, but if your no wheres near an electrical outlet, it's of no use.

I'd say skip it.
  3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I dont even use my electric start, by the time I run the cord I can have the thing pull started.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

2 stroke engines are a breeze to start in cold weather when primed. I have pull started snowmobiles with very large motors in temps well below zero with no problems. I would not waste th money or weight on a electric starter for one of those Toro blowers.
  5. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

pull start

If looking at the Toro's I would definitely get the pull start. They start up within the first 3 pulls.....even when they're freezing cold. Besidesthe $ savings, something else to consider:

When its 3:00am and your electric components seem to have a problem, you probably won't get it started (or fixed) until morning. The only thing wrong with a pull start is the possibility of snapping the pull string. It'll take 4 ft of string, 1 screwdriver, and one wrench, and you'll have it changed on the spot in under 10 minutes. The simpler the machine, the quicker the repairs.
  6. Tarkus

Yes but one could argue that with electric start that you have dual start capabilty because with electric start you still have a pull cord too.
  7. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

electric start

If it is the 2cycle don't bother with the electric start. the batts. that come with either brand are too small to deal with and have no on board charging so you have to remember to put it on the charger usually included. the only reason I would get the electric on any model any size is if your wife may have to use it or a senior citizen. I have a 5 year old 2cycle. prime ,good gas with preservative and premix, starts on the third pull.
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Most, if not all electric start snowblowers don't have a battery, they simply have a removable cord that you plug into an electrical outlet.

Not near an outlet......no use.
  9. butters

butters Member

From what I have seen most bigger snowblowers have electric start now anyway. Mine has a cord to plug into 120 AC, but I rarely use it. In fact I don't even know where it is. If it is an option on your blower and you have an outlet nearby and the price is low enough then go for it. If not then it isn't a big deal.
  10. Tarkus

If it is a blower you lift in and out of the truck you want to keep it lite as possible or a 2 stroke with no electric start. A single stage with 5 to 7 HP can do a pretty fair job too.
  11. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I would say 99% of all large snowblowers come with electric start. Like everyone has said it's useless unless you leave it at your house. By the time you get the extention cord, run it to an outlet, plug it in, shock the sh*t out of yourself in the WET, and push the button... I would have much rather just done another pull or two. :)
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have 6 snowblowers of varying age and makes, 2 have electric start. It is nice to have but not a necessity. If you are going to buy the machine new, I would definitely get it because if you amortize the cost over a few years it is dirt cheap. Treat yourself, it's Christmas!!! payup
  13. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I have the honda or a similar and last time i started it was two years ago. This year when i got it out it started and continued to run on the first pull. All i did was added sta-bil before putting it away, and changed the oil this year.