1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is an ATV Legal to use for commercial parking lots sidewalks?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by bcbrouwer, Oct 4, 2012.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

I did some research, but still didn't find what I was looking for. As the title suggests, wondering if it is legal to use an atv to plow the walks of a commercial parking lot, no public road use. Technically its private property, so I assume its ok. just wondering what others know or have found out. also, i have CGL for my business, do I need to add insuracne to the atv for legal purposes? thanks

2. Cyber36

Cyber36 Junior Member

The machine needs to be registered, licensed, & insured. That makes it legal......

3. Cyber36

Cyber36 Junior Member

Oops...I see your from Canada. Not sure what the laws are up there. maybe somebody else can answer?

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure why not, other than it wouldn't work on a lot of any size.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Why wouldn't it be legal?You're not on a public road,therefore in my way of thinking it's no different than a shovel.

My backup plan B is always ''It's easier to ask for forgiveness,than it is for permission.'':D

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Why wouldn't it be legal?You're not on a public road,therefore in my way of thinking it's no different than a shovel.

My backup plan B is always ''It's easier to ask for forgiveness,than it is for permission.'':D

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We use ours on private property with no issues. It's just another piece of equipment. Thumbs Up

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

FYI, I am not a legal expert and only will offer what we do. We purchase snow plow licences for all snow plow and I underscore all snow plow equipment where required. In addition all equipment in our operation is insured for liability purposes. We have used compact tractors, rtv's, and skidsteer / toolcat type equipment on both private and public walks without any legal difficulties. Our townships do have weight restrictions that we need to comply with on sidewalks.

9. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

great, thanks guys. for now it is a relatively inexpensive way to do walks, plus I can add an ATV salter for more efficiency.

10. bullseye

bullseye Member

I have been plowin for a few years now and have had zero issues .......and here in Alberta anyway...as long as you are providing a service (NOT FOOLING AROUND)....you can plow snow with a quad. I believe it falls into the same category as skid steers and small tractors used for snow removal.
    I would proably try to install a flashing orange light ..so to help to be seen. Anything to help in looking more professional and business-like !!

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The analogy brings to mind the idea of fooling around having fun with skid steers and small tractors. :jester:

12. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

We drive all over town with our atv doing sidewalks, cleaning up along buildings and so on. We mounted a strobe from the rack about 2 feet high. As long as your driver is not doing donuts or going really fast around town I think they wont say much!

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

very well put

My ATV is just like my Tractors Title in my business As long its getting used for work in a business They cant say a word Cops try and there times We get tickets but its always drop before court

14. bullseye

bullseye Member

Off topic BUT kind of relates ............

At our "farm show" today picked up a rechargeable LED Road Flare Kit.... waterproof and crushproof...shaped like a puck and have 16 leds that can flash in 9 different patterns. Magnetic backs to stick to any thing metal. Visible to 1/2 mile. Plan on using them on the quad ....for when doing commerical plowing with my ATV !! I should be seen with these on !! Thumbs Up

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

seen those are they bright I looking at them for same things