1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a single battery enough?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm wondering- is the single battery in my 03 GMC 2500HD w/145A alternator enough to run my Fisher plow on resi's this winter?

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

yes
    and I guess I have to keep talking to make it 10 characters

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Yes it will work fine.If you only have one truck .i would buy a new factory battery.Yours is starting to get a little old. if its from 2003 .

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Two definitely wouldn't hurt the situation.

5. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

My truck is 1999. It has the plow prep package. In 99, that was a 100 amp alternator. It also has one battery. Everything is 8 years old. Last season, everything worked fine for my resi route. This year I am adding a Federal Signal Highlighter (two strobes) and some backup lights. I am a little worried about this alternator and battery being able to handle it, but not enough to run out and buy another battery.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Then I should be okay with the single battery if you've done okay with that alternator and battery for the past 8 years. Do you notice the voltage dropping much from where it should be (in the middle of the guage)? Your battery is 8 years old?

7. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

I should have added, that this truck hasnt been plowing for eight years. Last year was the first season for that truck. I notice a dip in the gauge when I have headlights on, warning beacon on, and the plow is being angled. Other than that, I dont notice any drop. It comes right back up, and no problems so far. I'll let you know after this season. I am considering a second battery, just don't want to spend the $$$ right now.