1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is a rebuilt transmission worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mow4real, Dec 8, 2003.

1. mow4real

mow4real Junior Member

I could use some advice. I have a 1989 F250 4x4 7.3 diesel that I plow with. Two nights ago, while plowing, the automatic transmission called it quits and reverse no longer works. I haven't gotten any quotes, but I know rebuilding that transmission will cost a whole lot of money. How do I know whether or not that big an investment is worth the cost of the repair? I like the truck....it's strong as hell. What should I do?:help:
  2. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Depends on the overall condition of the truck........How many miles on her? how is the front-end?.................:drinkup:
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Your engine could potentially be good for 200,000 plus miles. My trans went out last year at 180,000 miles. I had it rebuilt at a local shop for 2300.00. I am glad I did it. The only thing I wish I had done different is instead of having a local shop do it I should have spent the extra grand and got a BTS trans & tc.

Mow4real, go to www.thedieselstop.com and search some of the posts relating to your E4OD. You will get tons of ideas.
  4. mow4real

mow4real Junior Member

I should have mentioned that the truck has 202,000 miles. It is not the best looking truck, but everything is ok except for the transmission. I only use it to plow and haul around a mower. I bought it used last year and did a lot of plowing with it last winter. The front end seems fine.
  5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I do understand your dillema. What with 200,000 miles on it makes for a difficult decision.:confused:

Personally, if you like the truck, it doesn't pollute the environment too bad with both smog and looks, and if you feel you can get another 20,000 to 30,000 miles from it, get the trans rebuilt.

Do you know if anything else has been done to the truck before you bought it? Like the fuel system or axles?
  6. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Re-build of trans ??????

You can buy a trans for your truck at Advance auto, maybe cheaper than a rebuild, Worth a shot. Just a Ideal..........
  7. thumper111

thumper111 Junior Member

The tranny in my 97 let go last year and the Ford dealer put a factory rebuilt with all the updates in for me. Not sure what the actual price was but the whole job was around $1800.
  8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

How many speeds does your trans have? 3 or 4? If it has 4 then it is a E4OD, not a strong trans, especially the earlier years and behind a diesel(yours). Difficult to rebuild and make it last. I have been through 4 of them in 160k. Go to a VERY reputable trans shop or buy one from BTS or Suncoast. You should have no problem getting another 100k out of your engine if it was maintained well.