1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a plow a car part?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by birddseedd, Dec 21, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

So the township claimed that my plow was a "car part" and i could not store it outside. What do you think? is it a car part? Maybe i should take a video of it mounted to a skid steer so i can prove its not a car part.

but hey, i wanted to do some refurbishing on it in the spring. im allowed to do periodic repairs on cars, now they wont be able to claim im working on equipment. chuckles.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

township ir your hosing authority for the subdivision.
    What are convents?

care to share the ordnance # they cited so we can read what it say's, with out it we all just giving a blind opinion.
    or what it says in the covets

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would talk to your insurance agent.

The majority of the time, carriers will insure a plow under inland marine insurance.

This technically makes a plow a piece of equipment. So, not a car part. Then you would have to talk to the village and see what their stance is on storing equipment at your residence.

5. birddseedd

That's actually a pretty good idea. think ill talk to my lawyer about that. I infact do have an inland policy on one of them.

6. birddseedd

7. birddseedd

Judge said basicialy that "I" am using it as a car part. My argumetn was that it is equipment, capable of hooking to a vehicle, the same as many other tractors, skidsteers, ect.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them it's a yard ornament

9. birddseedd

i laugh, but ya know what. there are folks who keep tractors, and with the "art" they are making in this down. its actually not that far fetched. although i would have to stop using it to pull that one off.

10. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

how could it be any different from say a trailer you hook it up to your vehical sort of like a plow ?

11. birddseedd

A trailer is a vechile all by itself as defined by michigan code

12. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

One Question.......Is the plow the only "car part" in your yard??

Or is your yard Full of "car parts" ????.......:whistling::whistling:

13. birddseedd

iv got a motorcycle in the back. they havnt brought that up for some reason.

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

No - Because it is not required to use the vehicle on the road. It is not OEM and did not come with a vehicle.
    I am lucky I have to such silly ordinances where I am. I do leave just outside but try and keep it put away. Just built a 60x80 to put things in. I had a smashed up 2000 Dodge 2500 sitting outside for a bit. But that would drive Kalamazoo nuts. Ha :)

15. birddseedd

they did make me put my parts truck in the garage.

which is reason i don't have room for my 2nd plow in there.
    lol

16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Next question they will ask is "Are you operating a business out of your home?" Are you zoned appropriately, paying business property taxes...etc. You might want to be careful who you try to one up here..

17. birddseedd

Actually setteled that one the same day. along with several other things. They tried to claim i was breaking the home occupation laws by running a business. course. They also wanted me to pay 350 bucks to ask if i can do it, just so they can say no and keep my 350. Thank the lord the judge ruled that I was not operating a business in my home. on the basis that all i am doing is parking my vehicle there. so as long as i do not change my habbits, the only thing they can do is state my trailer is parked within 5' of the property line and say i cant have a trailer.

im planning on parking my trailer at a storage place in the spring anyway, but i don't want to have to pay for it on the off season.

18. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

The city got on me a couple years ago. I was moving the plows to my house and the mowers to my shop. I had four plows in front of my pole barn and the inspector left me a note on my door that I was not allowed to run a business out of my house. I called him and told him that I wasn't running a business I had some plows there. He said that I couldnt have plows outside like that. I told him that there were plenty of other homeowners on my street that had plows and left them outside. He said yeah but they only have one, not a bunch of them. I decided to be a smartass and tell him some people collect boats and four wheelers and crap, I collect plows and just happen to own a landscaping business and that he needed to back off. Long story short I left the plows out just long enough that he couldn't get it to court in time (mostly just because I was very busy). I cleaned them up and put them in my pole barn for the summer. Now he goes down my street at least once a month looking for something to ***** at me about. He let me know that he is the authority and that I can't fight him. Don't make the same mistake I did. Just conform the best you can because the inspector for the local government can make your life hell if he wants to.

19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You run a western on your truck right? Go spend ten bucks for those stupid reindeer antlers people out on their car and say it's freaking Rudolph Thumbs Up

20. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

lol thats funny

My Parents and I store some of our equipment on our property we have not had any issues with any thing but my deed does say I cant use the land run a business on it.

On a side note check your deed and see if you can use the property for commercial or not. In my opinion I dont like people telling me what I can and cannot have on my own land they can go suck a pair of nuts.