1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a new truck a dumb idea to plow with?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lasher66, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

I currently have my own lawn business and was thinking about starting to plow this winter. Currently i have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. From the research I did in this forum, this truck doesnt seem to last when plowing. So I was looking on a lot the other day at a 2002 Ford F-250 XL with a plow already on it from the dealer. It was going for $29000. I plan on using this truck for my lawn business too, so its not like I am spending that much just to plow snow. I was wondering if it was dumb to plow with a brand new truck. Everyone I know keeps telling me that I will just mess up my new truck plowing snow with it. I will be plowing myself so no one else will be driving it. Just wondering what you guys think.

2. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

I dont think you will mess up a ford f-250 pick up with a plow.
    And since it is a new truck, you prob wont have problems for the first 3-4 years. but a truck that new, you should not get eney problemes for a while. Mayby little problems here and there, but nothing big. I have a ford f-250, 1995, and i have less problems
    with it than my 1999 dodge ram 2500. So its better to have a new truck to plow with, i will just last longer and do better for you
    than a used truck. just my 02,

ultmate lawns and more,
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I thought the same thing.When I bought my new truck i plowed the first year i had it as a matter a fact i got it in october so did not leave me much time to drive it around before i had the plow put on it.I would of like to drive for the first year then plow with it.But like evey one says it's new and you will have less problems with it.
  4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Consider putting a plow on the Ram 1500 and using it the first year or two. Spending $30,000 right off can be a tough nut to crack. A Half ton will do just fine in my experience.

If you were buying a new truck already, going with a heavier truck would be a no brainer, especially if you plan on salting. However, that half ton will get you into the business with less cash output and serve you well if you use it sensibly. If you can establish yourself with that truck, you will know firsthand what type of vehicle you want to spend that money on to replace or add a truck to your lineup. You also will have gotten a better return on your original investment of the Dodge. Just food for thought.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I totally agree with SnoJob67. I started plowing with a '96 Dodge 1500 4x4. This will be the third winter on it. Just took it into the shop last week thinking I'd need a new transmission at least, and maybe a new engine. When they called me, all I need is a tuneup and a seal on the transmission. I've owned the truck for four years and it has over 108,000 miles. I just don't abuse it, like slamming piles of snow and make sure to stop completely before shifting forward or reverse (I've heard too much about Dodge transmissions blowing from shifting without stopping). I have pushed through some pretty big snowfalls quite a ways with it, though. My son thinks I'm plenty rough on it.

If you're buying a truck, yes, you should go for the 250/2500 but why put out that much money if you don't need to?
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Whether or not you mess up a new truck depends entirely on the driver. If you're a cowboy jockey, it's going to break, new or old. If you're careful and operate smoothly, you shouldn't have any problems.
  7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I plowed for 2 years with a new 2001 ram 2500. I too used it for lawncare as well as snow. I had no problems with the truck. I lost no value on the truck when traded (because of the snow use). I traded the truck last month with 55,000mi.

I purchaced a new 03' Ram quad, long bed, with the new HEMI to use for the buisiness this year for both lawn and snow. my concern ws the fact that it costs $2,500 for a rebuilt tranny in the dodge. I want a warrany to get me thru the winter. If something goes wrong in the one and only storm of the year......
  8. ksimpson

ksimpson Junior Member

Last 2 truck's I have had were Ford f-250 Super Duty. 1st one had Western straight blade. This current one, Western v-plow. Highly recommended. Both trucks were horses. Just do good plowing techniques (ie: no shifting while still moving) and you should be a happy camper!! They serve me well in the summer also doing the landscape end of the industry.
  9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mess up a NEW Truck plowing

If you do then it's your own fault. If you take your time & don't SLAM-BAM your truck will be just fine.

I always wonder why it bothers guys to use NEW trucks as TRUCKS
    :confused: yes they cost lots of $$$$ but every plow truck I've ever own was a NEW Truck & never thought twice as the Truck was making me lots of $$$$$$$$$$$. My wife was the one always worried about it getting it's first scratch :eek:
  10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

If you work a truck it's going to get scratched soon or later. A truck that was built to be worked isn't going to die in two years because you pushed some snow. Me and my guys beat our trucks up pretty bad, they will take more abuse then a lot of people think. My mechanic told me once the 350 in my chevy was meant to be abused just as long as you maintain it. I just bought a chevy 2500HD, have a fisher X blade coming next week and cant wait for the snow. I can wait for the first scratch but if the truck cant work as hard as I do it's got no place in my company.

That half ton will take more then you think, I used to work for a guy who had all old telephone company trucks, every one was an 88 1/2 ton dodge, we beat those trucks so bad and they never gave up. They didnt have a lot of snot left in em but we'd drive the trucks maybe 700 miles a week site to site and they were overloaded most of the time. It was a testing lab where they tested concret so we were carrying around cylinders full of concrete... gets heavy fast. They broke down from time to time but nothing to major.

11. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I have an 88 f-450 and a 94 f-350 dual wheel flatbed that we plow with. I keep these trucks mint. Last year I bought a new 2001 f-250 and you cant beat the comfort of a new truck compared to the older ones. Its warm, clean and dependable. New technoligy always makes the comfort level go up. My opinion treat it well and it will last.
  12. a palustris

a palustris Member

A word on cowboy drivers... I know a guy who replaces his pickup trucks every 3 years. First time I met him, he was driving back to his yard (F350XLT PSD) with the fisher plow and spreader in the back. Had his blade in the back of the truck with the sander. Busted the thing off by going too fast and hit a sewer cap.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i wouldnt plow with anythng but a late model truck, in fact im about due for a new one. the comfort factor and the newer equip=less down time=more $$$. thats why we replace our 9 trackhoes, 7 trackloaders and 10 backhoes every 4 years with brand new machines. take care of them and they wil take care of you.
  14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I was thinking about it. Most of us will be plowing more than one drive or lot.And if you buy a new truck equipend with the plow prep and have problems do to poor workmanship with the truck you can take it back and have it fixed under warranty at no cost.But the cost of a new rig cost more.Buy a used truck or put a plow on an older truck only cost you the plow but if you break it you have to shell more out for repairs.Well with a new truck at least the first 3 years unless you get the extended warranty.So I guess there are pro's and cons to each side. but it all comes down to wantting a new rig or and older one that does not sparkle.:)
  15. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Oh how I like NEW shining Trucks

Bought this one new Aug. 2001 :waving:
  16. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Interesting picture. The plow has a lot of snow and ice on it. Obviously you have been plowing with it.

On the other hand not much snow on the ground and the driveway (yours?) is clean and dry.

Any secret?
  18. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm.... now you got me wondering. My guess is that the day that the picture was taken, he probably got a wet, slushy snow and he plowed so it won't turn into ice. Or maybe he got some accounts with 1" trigger?

Ok, what's your secret? :)
  19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Pic was last year but

I plow my drive in the morning & by noon it is always clean & dry. Drive has a little slope & faces east (morning sun) & 3#'s of salt & poof it's clean & dry . ;)

I checked my records off the pic date & we had 2.5"of snow that night & it was melting by the afternoon.
  20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Wish I had drives like that

Around here even if it gets warm to dry you have to deal with melting snow running across and then refreezing. No flat drives like yours.