1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is a mini skid worth using for snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRS Landscaping, Oct 29, 2008.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

i do about 30 residentual driveways, they are so small so theres no use for a plow and they all end in a garage. i was thinking of getting a mini skid such as a newholland l125 to help. most are in clusters of 3 or more i have a 32" simplicity snoaway and im looking into getting another or a mini skid any suggestions? another snow blower or a mini skid? thanks

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

get a back blade and put it on a jeep. when i lived in buffalo ny there were just tons of these setups. they also had a 6 1/2 on the front.

the mini skid is just going to be too slow going from one job to the next. they will be fine on the job site but too slow driving from one to the other.

3. JRS Landscaping

i have a 2wd f250 crewcab, i dont plan i buying another truck and i can use the skid for landscaping. thats why i thought about the skid and its 36 inches wide so its good for the side walks

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know thats alot of money just to plow driveways you would be better off with a little 4x4 30hp tractor. You could do more with a small tractor. Or get a full sized skid steer like a John Deere 240.

5. JRS Landscaping

i was thinking about a tractor too with a 3pt blower on the back and a loader on the front

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the guys in Canada love their tractors but they use the big ones. do you have room to blow it some where?

7. JRS Landscaping

yea i do have a place to blow it

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can get blowers to go on the front of tractors to. They run off hydrolics or your front PTO wich is located under the tractor by the transmition.

9. sherwin

sherwin Member

A Toro Dingo, or one of those would be a better fit and faster. The small skids I've used always seem underpowered and slow, the dingo's are much faster and more versatile for landscaping. You would also have to trailer it, a snowblower you can put in your truck.

10. EPPSLLC

EPPSLLC Senior Member

ATV is what i would go with

11. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

We use mini skid steers like the 4 series bobcat and they work great . The buckets are small enough for the avg. residential sidewalk so you can clear them in one pass. I am adapting one to handle a Meyer 6.5 blade. I would use the buckets for the sidewalks and switch over the the 6.5 blade for larger areas.

You can use the really thin tires and the machine will be three feet wide it will fit through someones gate. Plus you can bucket the snow if its real deep.

Plus they can be enclosed with heat.

If each job is a half mile apart then you will have a long night ahead of you. I have seen a large company that uses enclosed trailers and bring them site to site from and I cant see it taking any longer then unloading a large mower.

I hope this helps.

12. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I have a Boxer and like it for some landscape chores, but would go with a small skid loader . I have a four foot Bob Cat that we inclosed with the clear rap they sell at Bobcat stores for under 300$. The door was the nicest part about it as it would be hard to make on your own. www.lantermantractor.com

13. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Definitely go with a mini skid. I'm in the same boat. When we started out, used our full size Bobcat to do residential clusters and worked great. Now its tied up on commercial sites and eventually going to get a smaller skid for this purpose and of course as you mentioned would come in handy on many landscaping projects where a larger machine is not needed.

14. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

i second this! you just cant beat the dingo for versatility year round, and the blade/snowblower combo is priceless.wesport

15. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

Bought a Bobcat 440B 36 inch, skinny tires 18hp kohler, works great for loading docks and sidewalks, just don't try to perform fast stunts with skinny tires on, you could tip it, I worked for a rental company and used their bobcat 463 and 753's skinny tires not as stable, but better traction in snow

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How much will you spend? How long will it take to recoup your investment?Will you use it in the off season?Will it increase you efficiency?Enable you to take on more work? Do you want more work?Nice to think about the ultimate set-up but sometimes its better to keep it as simple as possible.Maybe just get another snowblower. Just a conservative opinion.

17. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Holy Post Bump Fellas!

18. bigz64

bigz64 Junior Member

has anyone ever used or seen one of those japanese mini trucks with a plow on them? for sidewalk purposes?

they are street legal here and would be really quick going from one site to another

a skid steer salesman tried to sell me a mini skid this year that cost more than my used new holland L175... so for me i didnt see if i would ever re-coup that cost

19. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

We use our Bobcat 463 with a sweeper attachment specifically to do the sidewalks at two seniors homes. In the summer it is used on occasion to auger post holes or to fit into that backyard where the gate is just a little too small for our bigger S160 to get into.

That said, the 463 is going bye bye for us. It is not versatile enough to use. I can replace it with 3 40" or larger walk behind sweepers, one at the existing seniors complex and then it can be loaded into the truck and used on the rest of the route. The other two can then go on the other two residential routes. The left over $ from selling the 463 and it's attachments I can put towards a auger for the S160. For the times that I can't get a S160 into the backyard, I can either remove a fence panel or rent a mini for the day.

Next year we will have a second larger Bobcat to head out with the other plow truck. This will give me two complete plow / skid combinations to tackle more commercial work. We have just purchased a large sweeper for our S160 to take care of the sidewalks on some of the large commercial sites we work on, it is the ideal way for us to proceed and then switch to 7' snow bucket for the rest of the work.

If I were in your shoes, I would explore a walk behind sweeper (also ideal for parking lot cleanup in the spring). Easy to operate, it will be very quick in your application and can move a crapload of snow. BCS make some very good machines. They also have interchangeable heads on them, need a snowblower, change the attachment. Need a rototiller for spring and fall, change the attachment. You can now head out with a blower / sweeper combination that is a fraction of the price of a Bobcat, is easier to haul, weighs way less, is easy to store, is easy to operate and gets the job done effectively.

Currently we have routes of 30 residential properties x 3 routes. We complete these with single stage Toro blowers, Stihl blowpacks, ice chippers and shovels. Next year though, each route is going to have a sweeper and our time spent will drop considerably and the outcome for the customer will be much better. While we have been fortunate not to lose our customers at all as we do a thorough job, when the competitor shows up next door with a sweeper and when they leave there are no footprints or packed tire tracks remaining, it most certainly looks far more professional, especially when dealing with properties in the multi million dollar neighbourhoods of Calgary.

Food for thought.

20. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

ok then i vote mini skid steer with a broom attachment.

way more versatle than a dedicated power broom.

takes one minute to change attachments on a mini skid.

takes 15-30 min to change the power head on a power sweeper/snowblower machine.

mini skid can load a pallet into the back of a semi...

mini skid has 35+ attachments ....sweeper has 2-3

renting sucks having it there and renting the attachments that you need on occasion makes more sense.

what is the cost on a power sweeper???
    new and used....