1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a block truck lift bad to plow with?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnowKid16, Jan 29, 2009.

1. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

Hey guys I was thinking about putting a 3 inch block lift on my truck and I was wondering if it is bad to have if your plowing. Any advise or comments are welcome!

Thanks
    Ryan

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

You shouldnt have any problems. As long as the lift doesnt interfere with the undercarriage support brackets. Anything more than a 3" lift you will have to move your plow bracket down. Oh, and take into consideration tires. If you go with bigger tires too, you may have to move the bracket down.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. FObyFO247

FObyFO247 Junior Member

Blocks arent really a good idea no matter what you are doing. They add uneeded stress and can be dangerous especially if you haul stuff in your pickup bed. i would rather use lift springs.

4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Are you talking about suspension or body? It shouldn't matter how high you lift the body, but a suspension and/or tire change would mean a mount-move. Body lifts don't do any good but allow bigger tires...

5. FObyFO247

FObyFO247 Junior Member

I am talking about leaf spring blocks (suspension) here.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd prefer to use all springs for the lift or mostly spring and a tiny block (under 2").

If your using blocks, don't put them on the front axle, if your going to use them just use them on the rears and get springs for the front.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id say blocks are ok. but most lifts can casue some kinda problem

Lets all really think about it. by using a block lift , your simply changing the the relation ship of the spring travel to the frame. the travel amoutn remains the same. If your adding big tires this isnt a bad way to go. For all those ppl that put in expensive springs, ...a good portion of the new spring travel can not really be used because the larger tire would end up hitting the body. Remoember to change your bump stops as well. I forget which trucks it was, but an american made production, (in the last 15 years? ford?) the only difference between them suspention (ex f 250/ f 350) was an added block on the rear axel.

but really, adding a plow is bad enought, and lift just give you more problems.... jsut another "cool" looking thing to do... waste of money JMO

8. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

You shouldn't put lift blocks in the front and you shouldn't stack them in the rear either...

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Leaf spring blocks up front are a bad idea and illegal in most places. Spacers for a coil or strut are not much better, but not so much of a safety issue. IFS spacers usually will max out your steering related parts like tierods and ball joints leading to much increased wear. Leaf spring or IFS lifts like this almost always should have new shocks as well. in regards to leaf spring rear lifts, they are better than shackle lifts, but not as good as spring lifts. You will see more axle wrap and this will lead to wheel hop and increase spring wear.

Now in regards to body lifts, they are sort of frowned upon all around. The higher the worse. Most modern vehicles use the body somewhat to help reduce frame twist. Body lifts lessen the strength of the this. My biggest concern is that if you hit something like a pile then the weight of the body is more likely to cause it to shift. Again the higher the worse. Bad idea all around.

Sorry so long hope this helps

10. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

In MA blocks on the front axle are illegal. With that being said I will talk about other aspects of using a lifted truck to plow. OK yes the geometry is off from stock and all that crap so perhaps you will have to lower the push plate. Truthfully I don't think you are going to need to do that with a 3" lift. I have a 4" lift on mine and to be honest with you the push plate is fine where it is in the stock location. Problem I have is I can't see the plow markers when its down which is a big pain. I can lean out the window and see the left side but on the right side I'm out of luck.I am personally thinking of taking the lift off and plowing at the stock ride height just to make life easier.

OK now with the blocks, I assume you are talking about leaf springs here and not coil springs. If you have blocks in the front you will be placing way too much stress on the u-bolts that hold them and the springs to the axle. Add a plow to that and disaster is about the best you can hope for. Blocks in the rear are fine and most people I know prefer them over a spring lift so you can maintain the stock ride and hauling capabilities. Spring lifts in the rear are really only for 4 wheeling rigs that never see work. If you look at all the available lift kits on the market you will notice not one of them has blocks for the front axle. While most will have them for the rear axle. This should be a clue that it is a no-no.

11. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

Hey thanks for all the help! I really got some good info! I don't think I'm going to do it anymore with all the problems that could unfold because of them. It really doesn't seem like it would be worth it! I have a 2006 chevy 1500 ext. cab and I just wanted it to look a little bigger.... any ideas? Also what size plow do you think I could use on that truck, I dont want or need something huge but dont want something small... any ideas or recomendations?

Thanks again!
    Ryan

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A 15 year old kid with a 2006 4wd w/ extended cab?....I must be doing something wrong...:dizzy::rolleyes:

13. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

Haha well I'm 16 now but my dad had a 2004 f 150 basic everything with only 10,000 miles on it so he let me trade it in to buy a used truck with only 17,000 miles!

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go with a 71/2' plow for best results.

15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Believe me...I understand,.....Fully.

16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd suggest joining some 4x4 oriented forums, (try FSC). A great deal of the information here is inaccurate. Everybody wants to tell you what they believe because they heard it somewhere, it was wrong in the first place, but they'll repeat it until it's a general consensus.

I have owned, built and driven lifted trucks for 25 years, both suspension and body lifts. I have offroaded and plowed a great deal, and I have learned what works and what doesn't. Personally, I prefer plowing with a lifted truck just for the better visibility over snowbanks and such.

BTW, almost all truck manufacturers use blocks in the rear of their trucks now. If they were so bad they wouldn't. Front blocks are a huge no-no anywhere, but we're not talking about an SFA truck anyway.

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If you decide to do a suspension lift or a body lift, just try to get your plow A frame close to level as you can and get longer blade guides.

I prefer plowing with a lifted truck as well, like Dan stated in his post you have better visability over high snow banks and it's easier to spot a car coming when backing out.

18. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

blocks are illegal for the front of suspension lift. (in all 50 states) Or so says the NTSB...

19. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

My stock 2004 F250 SD has blocks on it.......from the factory. It is part of the factory suspension.

20. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I plowed for years with lifted trucks. Never had any problems with them that could be associated with the lift kit.