1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 9.5 MVP Plus Poly too big?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wick, Nov 11, 2008.

1. wick

wick Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 03-04 F-250 5.4L Reg cab, I can get a really great deal on a new Western MVP Plus Poly Plow 9.5ft. I have one dealer telling me that a 9.5 is too big, and an other telling me the bigger the better and that particular truck can handle a 9.5.
    I'm a total noob to plowing but I'm looking to start a small Plow/Landscape business.
    I'll be doing a mix of residential and commercial lots.
    Any advise or help on this matter would be great..

Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work. May be a little big for some driveways. Great plow on lots tho. The 5.4 may be a little underpowered pushing wet heavy snow with that big of a blade. JMO

3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ditto, I know a couple of guys using 9.2 boss on F-250's and they do just fine. They do have more power than you, one is a 7.3 diesel and the other is a V-10. The diesel has no problems, the V-10 does ok, but not like the diesel. I think that 5.4 would be really struggling with that blade.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

If it gets really wet just take less of a blade width. As long as your keeping up with the storms you should be fine.

5. wick

wick Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the input guys, I figured that the plow may be a bit big for the 5.4 but wanted some input from people who have actually plowed before.
    I'm still on the fence about buying the 9.5 plow though, I can get the 9.5 for 2500 cheaper than a 8.5, because the dealer can give me a summer price, plows just went up over 2000 due to the U.S / Canadian dollar exchange.
    Should I get the 9.5 or bite the bullet and spend an extra 2500 for the 8.5 MVP that would fit my truck a bit better? :confused:

Thanks again

6. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Since you don't have the truck yet, try and find one with a V-10 or better yet a Diesel. Take the $2k diff from the plow and put it towards the truck. A V-10 will probably only be $500 more than a 5.4L the diesel will run you probably closer to the full $2k but it will be money well spent. One of the guys that plows with me has a V-10 and he gets to go fill while I'm still plowing. He probably burns about double the amount for fuel as i do with my diesel. Plus, you will get about 6-7 mpg better when just driving the truck around everyday.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure the truck your looking at has a 5200# front axle rating. A set of timbrens would probably be a good idea as well! Post pics when its all completed.

8. wick

wick Junior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks again guys.

I'm now sold on the diesel, just have to find one that suits my budget, I always knew the diesel was better for power, but had no idea a gas truck would be that heavy on fuel. I guess go big or go home..

Thanks

9. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I have a 2001 F-350 both with the 5.4. I own a landscape business and tow with it every day. It is a great truck. When a crew is out cutting it tows 6000 lbs with no problem. It pulls our L48 Kubota with no problem. Trailer and machine are about 9000 lbs. We also plow with it and never had a problem. 5 years ago we had a 24 inch storm and the truck handled like a champ. The 5.4 is alot lighter then the diesel and with gas prices coming down I think it is less expencive to run. 3 years ago I towed my uncles sail boat from New Hampshire to New Jersey, boat and trailer weighed roughly 10000lbs, with no problems. I'm sold on the Triton 5.4. It is a great engine. We also have a 99 F-250 with the 5.4. We don't plow with it because it is 2 wd, but it has pulled everything that has been hooked up to it with no problem. Also the V-10 will use alot more gas. What ever engine you choose I think you can't go wrong with a Ford.

10. ducatirider944

from Iowa

"Negative Ghost rider the pattern is full" I have owned both the small v-8 and a V-10 in a 3/4 ton. The V-10 averaged about 12 mpg empty and the v-8 would get 13 mpg at best. As soon as I hooked a trailer to it the V-10 would drop to about 9 where as the same trailer hooked to the v-8 I would be lucky to get 5. Didn't plow with either, so I can't say what fuel consumption would be during plowing. I have the 5.4 in the wife's expedition and it is a good motor, just under powered for a working 3/4 ton. I wouldn't own a 3/4 with out at least a V-10. Actually I wouldn't own one without a diesel to be honest. I bought my first diesel back in 01' and love the fact that I can pull 20k and still get about 9 mpg.

11. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

I'm not certian about the your 9.5 being too much for the truck or not. In NH, if i'm not mistaken, 9ft. blades are as big as your legally allowed to go without special endorsements. Just something to keep in mind, then again.. you're in Ontario.. Good luck

12. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

have you looked at the arctic plows?? they are built in london, On....