1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 8 ft. protech box too big for Bobcat 751 38HP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wiseguyslawn, Aug 28, 2013.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

Trying to get some advice on what size push box to get for my skid. its a 2000 751 with 38hp kubota diesel. THank you

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I used to run a 8' protech on a JD 6675 witch is 42 hp the biggest problem was weight after I started puting chains on the back it did pretty good

3. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

chains on rear tires? did you have to put any weights on rear of machine for counter weight

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Once I put the chains on the back tires there wasn't any need for anything else you will run out of power before you run out of traction

5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 751 and was thinking about putting a 10 foot box on it or is this too large

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

yes too big

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The only way that might work is if it's a steel edge box in about an inch of snow with some really sort pushes and the skid steer is on snow tires. Otherwise it's going to be a waste of time.

8. rjigto4oje

would a plow be better and box of the edges I didn't think two feet would make a big difference

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Your not following. Putting a 10' box on a 38hp, 4800lb machine is like trying to put a Blizzard 8611 on a Ford Ranger. It's just way to much plow/box for the equipment. I bet the 10' box weighs in as what that skid steer is rated to lift and is over twice as wide as the machine is.

10. rjigto4oje

thanks for the info I had no idea how heavy they were I'll look for an 8 foot box or a plow

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

12. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a 9 ft kage and a 8 foot regular pusher with an A300 (81 hp) and I wouldnt put anything bigger than that on my machine. Light fluffy snow no problem, but with heavy wet snow with long push runs, I can feel the machine working hard. I had to purchase the special snow tires to help with traction because my machine kept loosing traction because of the snow being pushed was heavy.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 35hp gehl and wet deep snow my 6ft plow w/ wings is almost to much remove the wings work well wind rowing and blading walks

Now I have a 68hp Gehl going add to the small lots, complex's Im stump on what size to put on it I don't want over kill it