1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 8" 6" Wide enough for a DRW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I'm putting a new plow on my DRW Chevy 3500 cab/chassis w/contractors box.

I've been leaning heavily towards a Hiniker 9' scoop, but with the new mounting system i'm contemplating switching brands seems how i'm gonna lose my interchangeability with my other setups anyways.

I'm looking at the Blizzard 8'6" speedwing but am concerned about it being wide enough for a DRW truck. I like the speedwing more so than the 810 PP due to being 150 Lbs lighter $1000 bucks cheaper and it's mechanical wings vs. powered wings.

Any input here? Again my main concern is the width of the plow.
  2. billfires

billfires PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 9' plow on my 04 F350 and it won't cover my outside duals at full angle. The tires are 96" wide (with stock 235/85-16 tires). The Speedwing is 94" at full angle, so measure your outside width and go from there. Also remember that you will get snow falling back in your track as it builds up. Bill C
  3. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Thank's for the feedback, I went and measured my stance and my dual's are at 86" so it would leave 4" on either side when angled. But I see your point about the snow spilling back over and getting tracked on.

It seems to me it may work but it still seems questionable to me. Anyone with any experience with a setup like this?
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If your doing open lots go with a 9' minimum you can always add wings if you need to go bigger
  5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Speedwing will work great on that setup. I use one on my dually as a backup.
  6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I have an 8'6" western on a 97freshly F350 dump and it is plenty wide enough. I have wings but rarely use them.
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have an 8' boss for my 94 drw and it pushes fine. i have wings i add but i can hardly drive the damn thing down the road with them on
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Bigger the better. I put an 8611lp on my dually after getting frustrated trying to plow with an 810 on it. At full angle, both wings out, the rear duals are right at the curb, so try to track a curb with any kind of curve to it was frustrating as the duals were either bouncing off of or climbing the curb. Straight pushing was fine though.