1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 7'6"unimount to big for a 89 charakee

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by daveolejnik, Jan 18, 2009.

1. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

I have a unimount on a chevy 2500. I ve been having alot of problems with transmissions this year. My tranny just went out again so Thats going back into the shop. I just had new clutches put in it 3 weeks ago and now NO REVERSE AGAIN. I cant aford to loose any accounts. They are really hard to get in this area. I was thinking about making a new mount for the plow for the jeep. I have another controller so I just need a new wiring harness. I just dont know if the plow is to heavy for the jeep. I would hate to spend 4-5 hours welding a new mount and then it being way to heavy for the truck. I know I would have to put weight in the back. Do you think it would work??? This would not be anything I use all winter to plow just when I get in a situation like im in. It would be great if I had problems with the truck just to drop the plow and hook it up to another vehicle. If possible.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

NO!:eek: Don't hang the Uni-mount on the Cherokee, not if you like the truck.

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you're talking the downsized Cherokee, you'll destroy it with that plow.

4. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Our 87 Jeep Cherekee has a unimount on it. the 6' 6" with wings which take it out to
    8 foot. It also has been beefed up a bunch since it rusted out after years of use in the Chesterton/portage salt capital of Indiana. It was too light weight. so we made it heavier
    and stronger... We put a 2x2 tube on the bottom to bolt the cutting edge to, and welded in new metal on the mold board. Added braces in some areas.... Then of course added a back drag edge that works great and was the best thing we did for it.....

It has HD springs on the front.

257,000 miles... Yeh... I guess we are destroying it.. ! :gunsfiring:

But now days we only use it for plowing residentials and a few lots.
    It doesnt get driven other than that...

5. xjeep25

xjeep25 Junior Member
    from ohio

01 Cherokee with uni 6'6"

I don't know the weight difference between a uni-mount 7'6" and a uni-mount 6'6", but I have a 6'6" uni on my 01 cherokee with a 3inch lift and it works great. We got 8 to 12 inches of snow here in Cleveland OH a couple of weeks ago and my "poor little " Jeep pushed with out any problems. JMO

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont know what a unimount weights but i've used fisher 7 1/2 RD (now called an HD) plows on my wranglers for 22 years