1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 4 door Short Box Good For Plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Feb 2, 2009.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2000 F-250 V-10 I bought cheap, I am debating weather I should mount a plow on this or sell it for a profit and buy something more practical Regular cab truck or something.

Let me know any feedback would be appreciated from anyone who has any!
    Here is a picture of the finished truck

IM001887.jpg

IM001884.jpg

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Not the best driveway truck. But you are no longer than a xcab with 8 foot bed. So put a plow on it

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I do driveways with a Crew Cab Short Box GMC and dont have any issues. Just have a to cautious or your surroundings. I say go for it.

Bruce

4. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

thats only 2 feet longer than my truck i do all municipal stuff but ive never had a problem

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have the same set up for a truck and like it ALOT better then the extended cab I used before the crew cab. I have no problems doing resi's.
    The extra room inside to keep stuff is also a huge plus.

6. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

LIke the other guys already said, put a plow on it. I used to have the same truck except tan and loved it for plowing. It was much more comfortable than the regular cab I have now.

7. speralandscape

speralandscape Member

Nice looking truck by the way!

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

My boss uses the same setup just a F350 instead. He seems to like it. Although nothing beats a regular cab long bed for plowing imo. But the extra room of the crew cab is priceless.

9. PRAM

PRAM Member
    from toronto

I have an F350 crew cab short box with an 8 foot plow on it!
    The back seat is awesom for storage and on long days you won't feel cooped up!
    Just watch the turning radus....and backing up.

10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

How about a regular cab short bed, I seen this before it was a F250 they cut the frame and put a short bed on it.

I'm thinking of doing this.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

That truck you have there sir....

would make an excellent plow truck..good luck with it.

12. exmark1

Im thinking on it yet...just test drove a 2004 Dodge 2500 Regular Cab with the 5.7 Hemi in it. 114000 miles on it very clean truck, it's red so it would match my other Dodge trucks.
    They are asking $9990.00 for it at a local Dodge dealer...

13. exmark1

That's the 2004 Dodge I am thinking on...Any opinions?

10399554798_257989411_IM1_02_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Only reason I say long bed is for the fact that you have so much more room for blowers salt etc. I dont think I will ever be able to downgrade to a short bed truck just because I love the extra room of the longbed.

15. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

You'll have no problem plowing with a 4 door short box, I don't, even with no balast. My old plow truck, 00 X, is in the background.

[​IMG]

16. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Put a plow on it - just a matter of getting used to the length. Someone once posted here not to buy a truck just for plowing since the season is so short. If you like the truck for the rest of the year than why sell it?

17. exmark1

What size plow do I need to be able to cover the track of this beast? I have an 8' Straight blade I was thinking on putting on it... is that going to be enough?
    Also does anyone have any issues with these trucks running warm plowing? I was told with the big V-10 motor it will have a hard time staying cool when under load plowing.

18. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I have a 7.5' Boss straight blade. Worked great on my Excursion, works great on this 250.

19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I think a 8 foot fisher on my f250 and I think fully angled it's 7.5 feet so I think that's the way to go.

20. exmark1

Do either of you have any issues with turns or circle style driveways?