1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is a 2 speed worth It?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TKLAWN, Jan 24, 2008.

1. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

We have a 773 bobcat And would like to upgrade to a new 2speed, Wondering if it is worth it and can justify the $$$$$$. We use it mostly for commercial lots and town homes. Any comments would be much appreciated.

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

150% worth it.

Depending on the size of your blade and plowing style, you might not be plowing with 2 speed. But I can't imagine having a skid steer without 2 speed. It makes everything quicker.

With the bobcat I plow both ways. Do a pass, 180 do another pass. I plow light snow in high speed and it's the fastest machine to plow with.

3. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I run a Gehl 4640 and the thing is so slow I want to rip my hair out. Definately go with a 2 speed.

4. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

oh yeah baby get that two speed you will love it to death !

5. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Two speed is a great option. If it's available, get it.

Just a note:

Only use the high range for travel... load and carry operations...

Just make sure you don't overload the hydro system...

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You would be stupid to get a single speed skid-steer and attempt plow with it. We run in second gear pedal to the floor ALL the time.. The only way to drive

7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Same thing here.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldn't own one with out two speeds.......you'll save lots of time and save lots of hours on your machine.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have two skids that don't have two speeds. All they do is pull out loading docks all night. I would have got 2 speed machines but I couldn't justify the $'s. This is the fourth winter for the one and it only has a little over 200 hrs on it. I really should find some work for it in the summer. Plowing lots I could see a 2 speed paying for itself in no time.