1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is a 1500 really not enough truck just for residential plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i just can't justify getting the HD between the initial cost and the terrible gas mileage. also i see so many 1500s with plows it baffles me that they would be so terrible.

any input?

2. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Depends om how much plowing you plan on doing. 15-20 residentials, you should be fine. I did it with a half ton when I first started, but it was a 1986, so it was a little tougher than the new ones.

3. josh9410

josh9410 Member

If your just plowing residentials i wouldnt hesitate putting a plow on it, it will handle a 7.6 no problem...if your worried about it put a set of timbrens on it

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

1500 short bed with a 7 1/2 foot blade will be fine. Put 4-500 lbs in the bed and a crank on the t-bars and it will be unstoppable.

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I plow a shopping mall with a 1/2 ton

6. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i sub for a guy i have a 1500 7.6 fisher i do just fine i do gym parking lots

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go 8 foot on it.

8. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

It will plow just fine with an 8 or less. Great for tight lots or resi.

9. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have been plowing large lots for six or so yrs with a 1500, large school parking lots, 5/3rd banks, Rite Aids, family dollars and a few private roads, I have a 7'6'' Boss poly with wings=9'5'' and just bought a large salter which will put me at apx. 700+lbs in the front and 800+lbs in the rear (salt & spreader), needless to say that my 1/2 ton is doing the job of a 3/4 ton, but it does okay for me.wesport

10. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

If I were doing just residential I would prefer a 1500 w/ 7 1/2' or a lighter 8', to my extended cab 2500HD.
    Turning radius is much better, just easier to maneuver. Follow recommendations for counterweight and you'd be good to go.