1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is 6 springs too many?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 27, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

dotn get me wrong, 4 is great. so much better than 2. but, it still trips pretty bad if the snow is wet before i drive over it.

2. meborder

meborder Senior Member

All right ... ill bite :)

arent you already having trouble getting the 4 springs you have back on? How's 2 more gonna help ya out if you cant get em on ;)

on a more serious note, what about just adding more pre-tension to the springs you have?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

hello. is the plow A frame level ( parallel) with the ground/surface? attack angle of cutting edge may be too steep causing more frequent tripping. just a thought.

4. birddseedd

it is level to the ground.

5. birddseedd

you can do that?

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Get a Fisher, and forget about it.

7. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

how old are ALL the springs? also like meborder susgested, tighten the springs up by adjusting the spring eye bolts. normal tension is so that a buisness card can fit between the spring coils with little effort.

8. birddseedd

honestly iv been contemplating drewling over somethign else. another guy had a thread about a weld they did on one of tho most crucial components that had 0 penetration. even i do better than that.

9. birddseedd

2 bought this year 2 last year. their adjusted so paper can get through them. i figured i wasen't supposed to go any tighter than that.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

6 isnt to many I had 6 on a 80s model western 8'

11. birddseedd

ya. i might add 2 more and a shock obsorber next year. its real annoying at the end of a drive when i pack the snow down and have to scrape it up and the blade keeps tripping.