1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is 55 hours straight a new Record?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DERBYDON, Dec 27, 2004.

1. DERBYDON

DERBYDON Member

Well guys, be careful what you wish for.

I was setting in my first account on my first snow doing snow removal since a kid when it switched from rain to snow in LOUISVILLE, KY. Technically I didn't go 55 hours straight. I did grab 4 hours sleep along the way, but when I closed my eyes it took a while for the after image of the strobe light to go away, even though I was home in my salty dirty clothes on my own couch.

Three mounting pins, one salt spreader motor, two tons of salt, five tanks of gas, and four thermos of coffee later I took a break for Christmas. Started back Sunday AM at 12:01 and plowed another 18 hours straight. Yes my new plow is paid for now.

For all of those people who try the Adkins Diet, grapefruit diet, South Beach diet . and on and on.... I recommend the Snow Dog's Diet. I lost 7 pounds - I know cause I've been trying like hell to lose 10 pounds.

Yeah, I know I should have switched drivers, but here's the thing. I just started this business and have a full time job. Business plan called for teaching my 19 year old son to plow so we could switch on and off and he can plow for me when I have to work. I guess that plan went right out the window.

I learned a lot! Kind of like learning to sail a boat for the first time in Hurricane IVan! I clear some apartments and the funniest thing from this storm I can clearly remember is one of the managers called to tell me her dad was sending over some construction equipment to help me out at one spot.
    (I had been through once on Wednesday morning and was trying to work back through again).

Well, after all my painful efforts to plan where to put snow and leave dumpsters clear, this bulldozer operator - You heard me right BIG bulldozer - buried three of their dumpsters - each with a 6 foot high, 12 foot wide, and 8 foot deep. \

Just got off the phone with one customer and already the complaints... You didn't get any thing clear, we still have snow, you should have got here sooner...I'm preaching to the choir here, but we had a 6" snow fall Wednesday, followed by six hours of freezing rain, with 12" + of snow on top for good measure. I feel pretty good about my efforts, I hit every account at least twice. Can't tell you how many stuck or broke plow trucks I saw this week and lost track of the number of calls from businesses where the contractor never showed at all.

Personally, I think I'm going to tell them that if their not happy, get someone else. Then I won't have to deal with plowing them this winter at a flat rate on a regular snow when their lots already have ten foot piles of snow stacked in every available spot. LOL!

One tired SnowDog in Louisville. :sleeping:

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like fun to me :drinkup:

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Three years ago I plowed from Thursday afternoon until Sunday night straight through. I did stop for fuel once and snack breaks.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know if that is a record but in my books you are a hero. That is something I don't want to even try. The most I ever did was 44 hours and I stopped for dinner once. I just finished doing 21 on Thursday and that felt like a week. To old and hopfully to wise. My hats off to those that can still do it. The money would be great!

5. cc2004

cc2004 Member

You are my heroe.I'm not kidding.We just finished almost 12 hours and i couldn't wait to get home. :salute:

6. The Boss

It was fun plowing but not fun being cramped up in my truck for 4 days. :drinkup:

7. DERBYDON

DERBYDON Member

More fun with ice!

Well, just got in from another 7 hours. Still trying to bust ice. I've resorted to working with one in the cab and one in front with a "Hoosier Spade". For those of you who have never landscaped or dug a hole in Southern Indiana, that's what I call a pickaxe. Seemed to work OK. How do you convince customers who have never dealt with this kind of storm, 18" snow and massive ice, that the ONLY solution is a LOT of salt?

Got to get some sleep.

Thanks for the support, nice to know I'm not alone.

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Never gone past 50 hours without some sleep. Although in one storm I ran one of the single axle Macks to push runways, my one ton to push the condos, back to the airport to clean intersections, the loader to push back the ramp, and finally ran the blower truck to knock down the windrows on the sides of the runways. Hopping from machine to machine helped to keep me awake and alert.

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

went 68hours in a 72 hour period. Dead tired!!! Ended up with about 90 in the week.

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

you guys must be on the meth or something the longest i have went is 36 hrs

11. DERBYDON

DERBYDON Member

I take Adderall for Adult Attendion Deficit and I seem to have gone through my prescription a little quicker this month. :dizzy:

12. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

Don't know about 55 straight....

But I do remember putting in 120 hours in a one week period many years ago during a really severe winter

24 hrs x 7 days = 168 hrs

Seemed like the week was never gonna end. :dizzy: but oh the payup I made :D

13. The Boss

Just a case or so of mountain dew. :D

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

A new record?

I just went a little shy of 40 straight hours Dec 22-23. Got 3 hours sleep, back at it all day, then fought a fire on Christmas Eve with the volunteer department. Spent the day with my family, sleeping at the inlaws (sorry Gwen and Chuck) and plowed a few spots at the Walmart with a Bobcat while my wife and kids slept in her Blazer on the way home. It is the only day of the year they are closed and my wife understood it was the only time that section would ever get cleared. Went back out the next day on 3 hours sleep. Finally got 2 full nights of sleep and finished billing and repairs now I am feeling a little lazy today.
    As for records, about 5 years ago we got dumped on storm after storm. I went 30-40 hours slept for 4-6 hours and 30-40 hours slept for 4-6 hours until the week was over. I plowed 140 hours that week and slept 28. I was whipped but I was only 23 and it was my first plowing season ever. My 1978 Chevy was the only truck out of all my buddies that went the whole distance. We had 3" of ice before we got any snow. I am not suggesting anyone try this and not sure I would want it again, but i had no choice and it launched my business as we picked up a lot of accounts that year. Now i run 5 plow trucks, a Bobcat with a plow w/wings, and have 3 backhoes to subcontract, 2 skidloaders, and over 10 trucks we use with subcontractors. Definately a lot of snow traffic controller running out of the cab of my truck!
    Main thing to get through this is a lot of water to stay hydrated (helps eliminate the headaches and fatigue) and have a very understanding wife! We only average 5 plowable snows a year (2" or more) where we can hit all the accounts, so we git 'r' done when we can! Phil :gunsfiring: