1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is $50/hr enough?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimtz23, Oct 15, 2014.

1. jimtz23

jimtz23 Junior Member

Hello I wanted to put two of our trucks to plow our city streets. They will pay 50 per hour per truck. I think before they went by the size of the plow and condition of both the truck and the plow. At least thats what I heard. Now it doesn't seem to be fair that some one with a 1990, s truck with a 7'6" plow gets paid the same than a 2011 3500hd duramax with a 9'6" mvp3. My main question is this will be my first year doing it.. and I was wondering if that 50/hr is worth it?

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I know its different my I plow commerical lots for a company and I get way more than that.

3. jimtz23

jimtz23 Junior Member

Do you get paid by the hour or by the job?

4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

hourly...........

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Is that plowing for Tovar? I know they handle some of the streets there.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't plow for that. Especially doing city streets with all of the potholes to deal with. What kind of truck and plow do you have? And by the way, Tovar pays pretty well for a good sized plow and v-box.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Seems low..

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Probably ten or so years ago i did a detailed computation of what the hourly charge would have to be for a pick up truck to do basic plowing. It included the cost of the equipment over a five year period, fuel, insurance, repairs, labor, and profit. Came up to about $225 per hour i think. Sounds high, but it's really not. Everyone is different, of course.

9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but if I ran trucks for that, I'd be losing money. 50/hr doesn't even cover the truck costs, let alone overhead.

10. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Another thing you want to look at is your insurance.

Well it cover you plowing public roads?
    Does the town cover your insurance while plowing their roads?

that's a big one because if you don't fall under the towns and your insurance well not cover you anything that happens, is on you personally !

11. jimtz23

jimtz23 Junior Member

I dont know who tovar is. Im in rockford il. And I have two trucks one is a 2011 Chevrolet 3500hd duramax with a brand new 9'6" V plow getting installed the 27th of this month. And the other one is a 2008 Chevrolet 2500hd gasoline with a brand new B plow 8'6" getting installed the 27th as well

12. jimtz23

jimtz23 Junior Member

To me it just doenst seem to ad up. I did the math and I would be getting like 25 pr bour not counting trucks maintenance. Or plow maintenance. Also the insurance he will provide. I have my own but he would provide the coverage. I also have my own private lots wich leave me a better profit. Just wanted to know what you tought if it was worth it or not?

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Our county pays 105 an hour for a pick up

I sub and make a whole lot more than 50 an hour.

But it depends on how much snow and how much you go out as well. We generally have 5-10 snow events plus Ice events

14. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

We go out 20+ times here for commercial, and going rate here is 55-75. County here doesn't sub anything out.

15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

$50/hour wouldn't get me outta bed. And especially on city streets. Like HarleyJeff said, the streets will POUND your truck in a short time.

16. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

even if they were supplying fuel , meals , motel room , woman ,beer . no.

min. penndot rate here is $145. DANG! old rammy up yer gazzoo wasn't kidding when he said ,
    "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Rahm Emanuel
    VOTE DEMOCRAT !

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

. 50 hr. is like hitting the jackpot to certain members here .

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Who carries the insurance?

19. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

yep i wouldn't even start my truck op or clean the snow off my truck for that. Such a nice truck and plow are gonna get beaten up by the city streets...

20. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

im not in the residential business of driveways , but im willing to bet I could do 10 in an hour for atleast 750 .