1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is 2WD an option?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wmslc, Jul 25, 2006.

1. wmslc

wmslc Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if 2WD was an option for snow plowing. The truck I am looking at is a GMC 3500 Dually but is not 4WD. I have never plowed before and I wasn't sure if it could handle it. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There are a few threads on this already so try the search button. The answer you are going to get is no if this is your only truck.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

its called 2 and 2 and 2. 2wd, 2 dual tires and 2 tons of weight.

I pushed 90% of the time in my F-350 dump in 2wd. Only use 4x4 to get un stuck or when it gets real deep.

As long as you got a 2nd truck thats 4x4 to pull it out if you get stuck you will be just fine. :D
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you'll be okay, just don't plow in the middle of no where with no one around to pull you out. you will get stuck
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Use common sense. Use plenty of ballast. Don't try to backdrag docks or do crazy inclines. I plow in my 2500HD in 2wd probably 90-95% of the time. Only time I use it is when there is a bunch of ice underneath and I am a little pressed for time, if I get stuck, or if there is just a whole bunch of snow I am trying to push. To answer your question: Yes, it can be done.
  6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Should be fine as long as yoy stay away from hilly sites. The other thing that you can do for extreme situations is to have a set of tire chains. With enough ballast and chains it will go most anywhere a 4wd will and in some instances further.
  7. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

2wd dually tires for plowing

i have a 2wd 1ton dually dump and i was wondering if it would be worth while to put bias plis tires or just keep the road tires on. I am going to put a 8'-6" western on this truck with a salt spreader.
  8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I personally wouldn't buy a 3500 in 2WD, but that's just me. Anything Class 4 and larger is okay without being 4x4 in my books. Anything light duty, you better count your blessings.
  9. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I have a 1/2 ton 1999 dodge and rarely use 4wd to plow.

Not a dually.

I do carry 800 lbs ballast though.
  10. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I run my 1998 GMC 3/4 ton with 1000lbs of ballast in the rear and I only use 4wd when my tires start slipping.
  11. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

Have you noticed how many of the above posts mention they only use their 4wd when they get stuck?

Who's 4wd will you use when you get stuck?

You can drive several hundred miles on the interstate and never need your brakes until you get to the off ramp... does that mean you don't need brakes?

I could see scenarios where a 2wd would be useful... big wide open level parking lot where you can use a bit of momentum to your advantage... and have a team of several trucks... one of them 4wd and available the minute you're stuck. Otherwise, every minute you're stuck you're burning $$$.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All three 2500s' 4wd with 800k to 1000k of counter weight.

Always plowing in 4 wheel drive.

The only time there in 2wd is on dry pavement or traveling between accounts.
  13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

you may get around in 2wd 95% of the time, but that 5% of the time you need it will be when you are rushing in a storm with nobody around and 5 hours more plowing to do.

If you havn't purchased it yet, try to keep shopping.

Especially in your first year you are bound to make mistakes
  14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I hope not - that's 800,000 to 1,000,000 pounds (k = kilo = 1,000).
  15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Exactly! I remember I was about to buy a 2WD 2500HD that I didn't even know was 2WD and the owner of the dealership told me "You can put a plow on a 2WD truck....but you can't go anywhere with it!". He was right.
  16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I agree, don't do it! You'll be sorry as soon as you get stuck.:realmad:
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOL :waving: way to many 0000000sssss'
    What, was I still sleeping when I tytped that!!!!:dizzy:

Let's try that again.....

I have between 800lbs and 1,000lbs in the back of the box just for traction/ ballast.
    + 200lbs to 400lb of salt ,snowblower and a shovel (yes, I do carry a shovel :waving: )
    .Always plowing in 4 wheel drive.
    The only time there in 2wd is on dry pavement or traveling between accounts.

But you do see some 1tons and larger trucks that are 2wd with chains on, caring a salt/sander around plowing lots.

O.k. how does it read this time:waving: lol
  18. TEX

TEX Senior Member

like everyone says if your doing only parking lots and you dont have to back up as much you will be fine with a loaded spreader or weight in the bed. on the other hand if your a one truck operation or a 2 truck and the other truck is 20 miles a way trying to find someone to pull you out when you get stuck and the time wasted will really make you cuss the 2WD and wish for 4WD. if its a huge money issue or a great deal on a 2WD truck go for it if not get4x4
  19. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

proper job

You will be afraid to get stuck (and you will), your jobs will take longer. Not worth it in my opinion. Who has all perfect jobs on level ground? How do you get to that perfect job, day before it snows? No through all the ruts and plow piles and messes the plow trucks leave during a storm.

4X4 a definite purplebou
  20. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Which is funny because the only time I specifically use 4wd is between accounts on the snow covered roads.

Of course I use it in certain plowing situations but rarely. And my transmission loves me for that. Not to mention the transfer case and u-joints.

You and I are so on the opposite side of the spectrum on so many issues.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.