1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is $25.00 - $50.00 to much to charge per 50# bag of salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bchlawns, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hey Guys,
    I have heard many guys talking on here about charging $25- $50 for spreading 1 bag of 50# bag of salt. How do u figure out that kind of price. It just seems to be a bit high of a proce to me. I quess i just dont understand where that price comes from. Could u give me some explanation on this? Will people like owners to apartments complexes pay that kind of money? I know they have money.
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

salt

have you ever seen what salt does to equipment? thats where the price comes from. sure it seems high, but wait till you have to work on something or buy it new because it is rotting out. good luck, parrothead

3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

parrothead,
    how much do you charge per bag?
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

4. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

31.25 is what i charge

5. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

yeh i am thinking 25-30 dollars per bag. I have not found out yet what guys charge in my area, i just know many of them use bulk salt.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

31.25 per bag ?? With a total of how many bags 2 maybe 3 ??
    That is pretty high if your dropping 14 50#s. What part of IL. are you getting these prices?? Im north of the city and you can get a ton for 160.00 spread. I realize you can charge a bit more for the small truck tailgate spreaders but you must have a great nich going.
    T

7. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

T-MAN,
    I live in morthwest Ohio and guys charge $25 per 50# bag for delivery and spreading. It goes over very well with most people. I thought i was high too, but now that i have checked into it a little more its not. Your time is money and think of all the high costs of removing snow. Insurance, gas, etc.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i mark up my sand and salt 100% so its like 50.00 a bag and like 35.00 for a bag of sand 50lbs

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Going to start doing salt this year................ I have no idea what to charge...... I'm in Clare Co. MI THANKS !!!

10. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

spread over 5 accounts, i used just under a ton per run and was getting $425.00 total, and the salt was running me $65.00 a ton. So I was grossing $360 a ton and actual spreading time was about 5 min per location, plus the charge for plowing

11. JRDabs

JRDabs Junior Member

$ per Bag

$30 - $35 per bag is fairly standard in the Northeast.

12. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks,
    Yeh i have been thinking about $30.
    Bchlawns

13. peewee

peewee Member

I have heard from other guys in my area to charge about the same as you would for a plow. $50 plow=$50 sand and salt. It works for me.

14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Gosh that sound like great retail prices! In my area we get around $16.50 a 100# spread ($8.25 per 50# bag) :cry: All my competition charges about the same. Salt in bags is generally available constantly until early February then it is harder to find. I don't know if this has anything to do with the pricing, is salt hard to find in you guy's location?? :confused: I know it is hard on equipment, if I even tried to charge $20.00 per bag spread my clients would laugh and call another contractor. I guess I will have to keep charging the same prices and go up over time. BOAST

15. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I started the thread awhile ago becasue the majority of people i have talked to and many people on here were saying they charge newhere from 25-50 per 50# bag of salt picked up, delivered and spread. To be honest i thought that was high myself so i thought i would start a thread and ask everyone why. I am thinking to charge 16 per bag. It is not hard to find salt around here i quess thats just what guys are charging for bags.
    Bchlawns

16. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I was thinking about charging $25.00 per 50# bag of MAGIC SALT. I could probably get more but I don't want to over shoot and not get it. What do you guys think? Should I try for more?

17. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I charge between $10 - $15 a bag when I average out each of my jobs. I bid them per application not per bag. These are 80# bags and the cost from my supplier is $135.00 per skid which is $4.50 a bag.
    You guys out on the East coast are making a killing. Those prices wouldn't fly in my area of Chicagoland! Kudos to you!

Just my .02¢
    Rick

18. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

A 50# bag of MAGIC SALT cost $12.00, so if I were to charge $10-15 I would make nothing.

19. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Avalancheplow -
    I use Ice-A-Way salt. If I need treated salt, for colder temperatures or fast ice melting, I apply a calcium clorhide/water mix to my salt. To each his own!

20. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We charge $15-$20 per 50 lb bag here in indy for rock salt, but we add an hour of truck time. Prevents folks from freaking out when they buy water softener salt or Halite at the hardware store and then look at the snow/ice invoice.