1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is 17 accounts too much???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowin boy, Oct 30, 2006.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I have 17 accounts that I have lined up for this upcoming season. 4 are hotels, 1 restaurant, 2 businesses that take approx 45 min each, 3 that take about 1 1/2 hours total, 4 apartments(approx 2 hours total) 1 church and 2 gas stations. Plus a little drive time. Is this too much for one truck to handle?? (2500hd with 7.5 Western pro plow with wings) I think I have backup if needed. Thanks for your input
  2. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

you are probably gonna want some help to get them done in a timely manner. Especially if there is a big snow, you will get behind real quick. Get the help if you can, at least one truck.
  3. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

In my opinion that is probably too much for one truck to do and keep everyone happy at the same time. Your looking at about 10 hours of plowing which is fine if it stops snowing at midnight every storm.

Those are all commercial and I imagine they want the lots done by around 7 or 8 am. What are you going to do on those days when there isn't enough snow to start pushing until 4 am?
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

10 hours? Do you plow at 75 MPH?

Im sorry but of course thats too much for one truck. Youd have been better served just coming and saying "Hey....going good this year, scored some good accounts, hope every one else is gettin lucky too"

I hate these disingenuous threads.

Not to be rude but I do.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I would have to say, if you can get another truck to help, you should. That is alot of plowing for one truck, especially if you get alot of the wet stuff. Not to mention, with them being commercial, you will have your hands full with open times to complete. Best of luck to ya, and hopefully you find a little help.
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Guys I think hes pulling our leg. Plowin, how did you get all these contracts awarded to you with a 3/4 Ton and 7.5' plow????
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm amazed, given an exchange we had on another post, but I completely agree with you. I had the same thoughts when I read it. The other thing was I wanted to ask how much experience he had. To ask if this is too much implied no experience plowing. With any experience, it's obviously too much for one man - one truck.
  8. LLM Ann Arbor

We can agree to disagree and you made some great points in that other deal. I learned some things. And thats what this is all about.

The thing I thought when I saw this one was, if he's smart enough to sell those kindof accounts, he must be smart enough to know one piece of gear wont be enough.

Ergo....another smoke and mirrors thread.

That might even require 3 trucks and a loader.

And the guy that says thats 10 hours o' plowin needs a new calculator too.

Ya know?
  9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

LOL. That was pretty funny.But I think I might agree. You would have to moving pretty good to plow that in 10 hrs. Unless there was only 1/4 inch on the ground
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

Well thats what I mean abot getting on the same page sortof. When ya got these kinda deals.

Then in that other deal that one guy comes in and says hede hit it for 80 bucks...With a Loader?

Then he says one ton of salt. Now I dont salt but I work with guys that runh some pretty large rigs, and I guess its no wonder he could plow it for 80 if he's puttin a ton o' salt down, on that small complex. Hede have so much salt buildup he wouldn't have to plow it for five years!

Oh, and you owe me a whopper.

11. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Ann Arbor,
    I think we agree on this, if nothing else. Best of luck to ya.
    If you don't salt, then maybe I should buy you a whopper, so you can save your money for a spreader!!!!payup
  12. LLM Ann Arbor

Hell. If things dont pick up and if it doesn't snow a lot, I'll be working at BK.

I have spreaders galore but just dont salt resis, and dont have any commercials. The ones Ive done were followed up with a topkick and a tailgate deal.
  13. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

not sure where you live, but to be honest, I have never had a customer ask to see my equipment before signing a bid.

They *might* ask what equipment we use, but generally they want to know one thing, PRICE
  14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

A few years ago when I was woking on a maintnece crew for commercial properties.... we had two trucks to handle 6 properties.... anything over 4" we were lucky to get them cleard by 8 am if we started at 3am... 17 is waaayyy too much for one truck
  15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IMO, Its a decent amount of accounts for one guy but the problem is they all need plowed within a timley mannor. I would sub out maybe some of the ones that will take longer while you knock out the smaller ones. It also depends when they request to be plowed out by, I have some that don't need to be open until 9am and the rest want opened by 6am. Cant be everywhere at once.
  16. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

so this is a joke right? you have some special truck that just makes the snow go away?

your going to need that backup truck to run full time, that's way to much for one truck to get done within anything resembling a timely manor. Trying to plow them all alone is a great way to end up with 5 accounts afterwards.

Let me ask you what happens when you have a 2" per hour snow fall. How much snow is in the last lot on your route? Can your truck push that and survive? Can you do it a clean and professional manor?

The apartments alone will be a pain and take more than 2 hours since you will have to clear where cars have been moved, and moved again, and again.

hotels have cars in them until a very specific time frame, and even then there are still some in the way, so you have to go back again.

So I ask, can your really handle it and keep up wth the snow fall and keep them all happy, I'm not concvinced.
  17. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

You are going to have fun this winter

You are going to need help and a back up plan...You may brake something on your first account...Bring a bucket for the tears. I would say that you need a loader and 1 more pick up...Like the other guys said...It can really storm...and then you have to salt...before the people/ customers start walking around on the lots:confused: ...IMO If you have these contracts signed...start getting lotsa sleep now...You wont have time to sleep when you get hit with 3feet of snow.
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The more I watch this and think about it, the more seems implausible. The guy is 23 years old. He has all these restaurants, hotels, apartments and so on. Apparently has no experience given the question he's asking. Then tells us how much time two of the businesses and four of the apartments will take. He's very exacting with the "businesses" in that two will take 45 mins each and three will take 1 1/2 hr (or 30 mins each). See where I'm coming from? 2 at 45 each and 3 at 30 each - nobody is that exacting.The four apartments will take two hours total ( 30 mins each). Then "a little drive time."? There are simply too many "30 min jobs".

And he hasn't been back to reply to any of this.
  19. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

the church and gas stations alone are 4-6 hrs..

This thread = LOL!!! :gunsfiring:

20. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I would be out trying to find some more accounts :rolleyes: that seems a little short to me :eek: Have you thought about advertising :confused: