1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is 12.5 too wide for a plow tire?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bkeast17, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bkeast17

bkeast17 Junior Member

I have a 91 wrangler. 6.5ft fisher speedcast. I currently have bald 31's on it but want to move up to 33's since I need new tires anyways. I am looking at 33x12.5x15 dunlop mud rovers. Will these be ok to plow with? I have read before some say thats too wide and some say its ok. I will not be doing any commercial plowing, just my small driveway and my parents.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

For what you do you'll be fine with 33x12.50's.

3. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I have 33X12.5 on my narrow track CJ and it's still wider than the path I make when I angle my 7' meyers all the way.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

[QUOTE='76cj5;428378]I have 33X12.5 on my narrow track CJ and it's still wider than the path I make when I angle my 7' meyers all the way.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I have a 7 1/2 fisher on my Jeep

5. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I have a 2000 xj with 32x11.5x15 bgf at's. They worked great last year with the plow on. But take the plow off and they floated pretty bad. It is fun as hell just not very safe. I opted for 265/75/16 for winter on crap rims and keep my 32's for play. If you are going to 33's I would look at the bfg at's 33x10.5x15. Hope this helps.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I hope you are going to change your dif gears if your going to go to 33" tires. or you will be downshifting EVERY time you come to hill (even a small one) on the highway.

7. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I had my Jeep set up for plowing with 33's and they stuck outside of my 6 1/2 meyer, I did a complete rebuild on the Jeep over the summer and not plowing with it anymore but the tires did fien and i never had to change any of the gears and it drove fine down the highway, If i came to a big hill i would have to downshift but nothing that out of normal in a stick.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

narrow tire's do not have to push through as much snow and don't grab the snow rut's as bad ,the snow will not pile up in front of the tire as bad .

9. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Do you have enough lift on your rig to run 33s without rubbing at every bump or turn??

10. Mich plower

Mich plower Junior Member

I have 33's on my TJ but also running a 7'6 Speed wing the only downside to the 33's is i switched to 7 inch wheel flares the 33's coat the side of the jeep otherwise making it ness to stop and clean side glass all the time from salt spray.

A narrow tire would honestly bite better than the bigger tires i had 31 Yoko's and switched to 33 BFG's . Again they work ok but make a hell of a mess of the jeep.